Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

I noticed your Logitech trackball in the background.

I've been using one for a couple years for CAD.

It sucks for the first couple weeks, getting used to it but once you get used to that thing, a regular mouse becomes unbearable to use.

That ball needs regular cleaning though, or it gets sticky.
Yup. I have one for my laptop inside and another one outside in the shop for the desktop. I have the wired version (redball) at work. I can't use a regular two button mouse now. IT guys dislike working on my computers because they have an aversion to trackballs in their DNA for some reason. I have yet to meet an IT guy who prefers trackballs.

I tried the WACOM tablet ( my son has one from his graphic design classes) and it was so cumbersome because it has to be programmed like a mouse. And if you have an aversion to anything but regular mice and trackpads - then the idea of programming a pen seems somewhat insurmountable. I just immediately gave up after successfully modeling a couple of simple shapes in Fusion, it took more time and felt like more work than normal.

Due to Kens inspiration I printed an R8 collet holder to mount below my DRO.

20230321_085020_copy_2016x1512.jpg

That looks great. Is there some kind of framing around the display that it will mount to.

Yes, The DRO is mounted on a plate with a small 21mm lip that hangs straight from the DRO.

I look at that photo and the first thing that comes to my mind is that I so want/need to update the DRO in my milling machine...

Speaking of mice: have any of you used 3D mice? They seem to be the hot setup for CAD.

spacemouse-pro.jpg

https://3dconnexion.com/us/spacemouse/

I have been a long-time user of trackball mice (currently have the MX Ergo and a bunch of Logi's previous iterations); can't stand regular mice. I've been tempted to get a 3D mouse but haven't taken one for a test drive yet.

Y'all have given me some good ideas for my 3D printer to make.
I need a holder for my Yuri DRO tablet.

Speaking of mice: have any of you used 3D mice? They seem to be the hot setup for CAD.

View attachment 442708

https://3dconnexion.com/us/spacemouse/

I have been a long-time user of trackball mice (currently have the MX Ergo and a bunch of Logi's previous iterations); can't stand regular mice. I've been tempted to get a 3D mouse but haven't taken one for a test drive yet.

Yea, i've been eyeballing those for a long time. I just hate to risk that much money for something i might hate.

Maybe i'll get change to test drive one, someday.

Back