Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

Hi Ken,

I got some new collets in last week and downloaded your R8 Collet holder off Printables. I haven't printed anything this big yet on my Prusa, I probably should have leveled and calibrated my Z before I just loaded and hit the go button. You can see a little artifact on the bottom of the middle front hole. Other than that, the model is perfect for a wall mount collet holder. Worked great!

I also notice that these work for ER32 collets. Do you have a version of this that has the lettering removed or with the ER32 lettering? No biggie if you don't.

View attachment 441659

No, but that's an easy change that I should have no trouble doing.

Hopefully I can find the original model in my files.

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

I got some new collets in last week and downloaded your R8 Collet holder off Printables. I haven't printed anything this big yet on my Prusa, I probably should have leveled and calibrated my Z before I just loaded and hit the go button. You can see a little artifact on the bottom of the middle front hole. Other than that, the model is perfect for a wall mount collet holder. Worked great!

I also notice that these work for ER32 collets. Do you have a version of this that has the lettering removed or with the ER32 lettering? No biggie if you don't.

View attachment 441659

I can't find the original CAD file. It seems to have been long ago deleted.

I tried converting the .stl into a .stp file, but that is just crashing my computer.

Last edited:
How bout a custom Job, from scratch?

1679241075443.png

The dimensions will be different, but I tried fro the same appx size and look.

The .stl is attached.

Attachments

• VtCNC ER32 Rack.stl
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
Hi Ken,

View attachment 441659

I noticed your Logitech trackball in the background.

I've been using one for a couple years for CAD.

It sucks for the first couple weeks, getting used to it but once you get used to that thing, a regular mouse becomes unbearable to use.

That ball needs regular cleaning though, or it gets sticky.

I noticed your Logitech trackball in the background.

I've been using one for a couple years for CAD.

It sucks for the first couple weeks, getting used to it but once you get used to that thing, a regular mouse becomes unbearable to use.

That ball needs regular cleaning though, or it gets sticky.
you ever use a pen? I used to know an engineer who used a pen while working in CAD.

Do pencils develop G-code? That would be an interesting process.

I assumed he meant something like a stylus and touch screen. Or something else?

Edit: ok, I get it. Like this.

i bet that wouldn't work with my current laptop.

I assumed he meant something like a stylus and touch screen. Or something else?

Edit: ok, I get it. Like this.

i bet that wouldn't work with my current laptop.
or like a pad that they had back in the day.
He had a pad that he would move on.

My son had a watcom pen back in the 90s on the PC I built him. so there are multiple pen types out there. I don't know what the engineer used. He was at Bendix designing weapons for the military, he explained that for him, the pen was like drawing, ... these days yea, the screen could be used I guess.

Back