Am I the only Fuddy Duddy?

Early party with the Ravens game at 1 . Staying home as usual with the dogs and a fire in the woodstove . At midnight , the dogs go crazy with the neighborhood fireworks . Being retired , every day is a party ! :beer:

In my wasted youth I was a big fan of altered states and the resulting late nights. So much so that I earned the nickname Ellis. Over time I have learned that, unless you're hoping to get lucky, nothing good happens after midnight. And more importantly, that the next day is a total loss. At some point the awareness of the price outweighs the pleasure. This is what is often referred to as "wisdom". These days, a couple of cocktails and a puff and I'm good. And as for going out, I've beaten the odds of a DUI for so long that I'd be a fool not to walk away from the table. Fortunately, my wife is somewhat of an introvert, so I get no argument from her.

If only people would skip the midnight fireworks, I'd sleep a lot better. Yep, I'm a fuddy-duddy. And even if she didn't have a broken leg to nurse, my wife is happy to be home with me.
How's she doing?

My bed time is 8:00???
Me too! Fortunately my wife, who is kind of a night owl - sometimes staying up until 10:00 - is still in the 'go to bed at a normal time on NY eve' camp. I'm in the 8:00 camp myself - and I typically get up around 0400 hours (no alarm clock, I've been doing it long enough that if I oversleep it's because I had a 28 hour day prior...).

No shame. I regularly refer to myself as "the death of the party" - "oh, look! It's 7pm (yawn), time for us to go..."

I don't know which is worse: going out with your wife and yawning and trying to sleep standing up, or making her go alone. Probably the former, though she may not recognize it. I know in my case, if I went, I'd probably get an earful about how I didn't exude the proper enthusiasm or some such - so attending would actually be the more painful proposition.

GsT

No shame. I regularly refer to myself as "the death of the party" - "oh, look! It's 7pm (yawn), time for us to go..."
Yes, that's it.
I love you man.
I'm going to share your story. I'll say, see honey, I'm just a regular guy like my buddies. :)

Yeah I hear you. I went full F.D. a few years ago. By the time the holidays are over my wife and I have spent >30 hours on visits/party time with extended family and friends, plus more travel time on top of that. No exaggeration. I would be fine with 1/10 of that. If a visit could be 2-4 Hours, great but in-law visits tend to be 6-8 hours each. I like my in-laws and friends but around hour 3 or 4 my mind drifts to the fact that I'm not in the shop...again.

This afternoon a neighbor party for a couple of hours followed by in-law visit for some endless time period. I have to pop in the shower in an hour so the day is done. Sigh. At least we are staying in for New Years!

Back