Aggravating gas cans

Emissions is one reason for crappy gas cans, but it isn't the reason that they have filler screens and "spill-resistant" features. The big factor in bad gas cans is product liability. This has several causes.

Cause 1: Stupid users. One big liability payoff was from Blitz because they didn't include a cap that prevented the idiot from pouring gasoline on a roaring bonfire directly out of a Blitz can. I'm not making this up! This is only one of the ways users misuse small gas cans. They are very creative, even if stupid.

Cause 2: Ambulance chasing lawyers. They attach themselves to Cause 1 survivors or heirs.

Cause 3: Publicity-seeking politicians. They have to "fix" everything, even if it screws life up for those who don't misuse gas cans. The next step may be to criminalize possession of a defective gas can safety device!

Cause 4: Lawyers advising product makers. They advise their clients to lobby government to make modification or misuse illegal. This is so the product liability hopefully is reduced by the defense lawyers arguing that there is no liability if the product is used illegally.

Unless you kill or injure someone, or cause an expensive fire, a modified gas can will not get you thrown in jail, or fined. It is meant as a threat to keep us in line, mostly so insurance companies can avoid settlement costs. The Gestapo isn't going to examine your gas cans at roadblocks, or serve you with a search warrant.

Cause 1: Stupid users. One big liability payoff was from Blitz because they didn't include a cap that prevented the idiot from pouring gasoline on a roaring bonfire directly out of a Blitz can. I'm not making this up! This is only one of the ways users misuse small gas cans. They are very creative, even if stupid.
it wasn't a roaring fire in fact he thought it had went out however being stupid or careless my boy spent a 1 1/2 years in the hospital, 1 of it in icu, lost about 80% use of hands from being hung spread eagle for 3 months, 70% new skin grown in a lab because of that. close to 30 operations
and an out patient in and out for another year with stomach issues from all the pain meds
5 gallon full can

I was about to crack open a can of jokes before I read your post, but I'll save it for another time. That's a huge price to pay for not understanding the hazards.

I was about to crack open a can of jokes before I read your post, but I'll save it for another time. That's a huge price to pay for not understanding the hazards.
oh he knew the hazards. he also owned a fire sprinkler business at the time
a friend, retired lieutenant fireman, did the exact same thing and came close

I have been guilty of using gasoline as an accelerant in the past. For a soldering fire, I pour a few ounces in a small can and fling the can into the fire from a safe distance. If I am starting a fire from cold, I pour the gasoline onto the combustibles an make a "powder trail" with gas out to about ten feet away. Touch a match to the end of the trail and stand back.

About thirty years ago, we had an unexpected guest. A native American was tending a ceremonial fire and added gasoline to the smoldering fire. The flareup startled him and he spilled some gasoline on his pant leg which burst into flames. By the time they had the fire out, he had third degree burns over most of his lower body. We took him into the ER in the back of my pickup truck as he couldn't sit. He spent Christmas in a saline bath as they removed burnt flesh and clothing from his body and ultimately had skin grafts on his legs.

I fished a tire valve stem into the hole I drilled on top, opposite the stupid spout.
Gutted the valve stem, but kept the cap.
Gutted the POS spout, and carried on.....

Don't lose the 'vent' cap, just like before.

I fished a tire valve stem into the hole I drilled on top, opposite the stupid spout.
Gutted the valve stem, but kept the cap.
Gutted the POS spout, and carried on.....

Don't lose the 'vent' cap, just like before.
Many tire valve stem metal caps have gaskets that swell up and get soft when exposed to gasoline fumes. This includes some I bought from Amazon that were described as "gas can vents." Nitrile rubber is resistant to gasoline fumes.

The valve stems I selected themselves, not just the cap seals, turned to goo in a year.

Back