Aggravating gas cans

Go to Canada and bring back some Scepter fuel cans for gas not Diesel. Diesel cans have rubber seals that swell up and brake the cap. Get new not used and replace the gaskets ASAP if they aren't gray.

Can

Spout

Last edited:
linky to the code of federal regulations

The regs for modifying gas cans are pretty effing strict! Of course, they were sure to include supbart 602 to keep you boys from modifying your cans at home. It's not just about manufacturers and importers when it comes from the EPA, it applies to private parties, too.

I am actually shocked at the level of detail here. Sure, evaporative emissions are awful, but they tar everyone with the same brush as if we are each running smelters and commercial paint booths in our garages. New gas cans suck. Even the famous Eagle tuna-half "safety can" isn't kosher.

I'm sure all of you remember the "good old gas can". You know, the one you could pour gas out of? Without gas going everywhere?
I brought one a while back. 5 gallon with the "No Spill" spout with the nifty green...whatever you call it. You have to squeeze it to get it to work.
I'm not a fan, so is there a modification, or alternate spout I could order? So far everything I've come across looks to be as big a pain as what I have now.
Thanks in advance.

sure all of you remember the "good old gas can". You know, the one you could pour gas out of? Without gas going everywhere?
I brought one a while back. 5 gallon with the "No Spill" spout with the nifty green...whatever you call it. You have to squeeze it to get it to work.
I'm not a fan, so is there a modification, or alternate spout I could order? So far everything I've come across looks to be as big a pain as what I have now.
Thanks in advance.
Some of the old containers can still be found at yard / estate sales. Wash em out and ready to go. Al.

supbart 602
how about a better explanation i googled and am not about to spend an hour or more on that

I have not had a chance to try these yet but am hopeful.
I bought something similar for my cans. Got them in Tractor Supply in CT since it's illegal in NJ. (Don't get me started) No more leaking all over the place with the approved cans. The more the politicians mess with things they know nothing about, the worse things get. I got so tired of the lack of air entering into the can, and the leak from the valves that pour all over the place.

When I had my shop I figured I should order a dozen gas cans to have on the floor for customers to buy.

I put gas into one of them and had it outside on a sunny day. When I went to use it I got sprayed with fuel.

You can bet I pulled all of them off the floor immediately.

VP makes proper fuel jugs.

John

I have 2 of the pit crew style plastic cans. All I could get in covid times. Clear hose spouts bend over when fueling. Caps leak where spout screws on and cap as well. Maybe I need to change hose out to NPT pipe.

For filling the tractors, I threw away the spouts and use a funnel. I machined aluminum plugs with O rings for seals for a positive leak stop during transport. for the 5 gal. cans. For the smaller engines and chain saw I still have older style spouts on the small cans.

What gets me is they put these fancy do-nothing spouts on the fuel cans and quadrupled the price.

Back