Aggravating gas cans

Bone Head

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm sure all of you remember the "good old gas can". You know, the one you could pour gas out of? Without gas going everywhere?
I brought one a while back. 5 gallon with the "No Spill" spout with the nifty green...whatever you call it. You have to squeeze it to get it to work.
I'm not a fan, so is there a modification, or alternate spout I could order? So far everything I've come across looks to be as big a pain as what I have now.
Thanks in advance.

If you have a Tractor Supply or Ag supply near you they probably have one similar to the ones in the amazon link below. I think I got some from Agri-supply and some Amazon ones and both are fine.

Gas Can Spout Replacement,Gas Can Nozzle,(3 Kit-Yellow) with 6 Screw Collar Caps(3 Coarse Thread &3 Fine Thread-Fits Most of The Cans) with Gas Can Vent Caps,Thick Rubber pad,Spout Cover,Base Caps https://a.co/d/4W8jVYk

I have started to use my old army metal gas cans I weld in a 1/2 nipple on the screw on top and put a ball valve with a rubber hose and add a air relief at the back top end to pour freely. Just have spent too much money on the plastic junk.

I watched a youtube video a few weeks ago where someone was demonstrating how to modify the spouts to make them useable.

We were in Canada back in 2018, at that time, you could still buy decent gas cans there... I bought 2 and smuggled them across the border... IDK if useable spouts are still sold up there or not.

-Bear

I had quite a collection of 'old' gas can spouts - you used to be able to find them routinely at the used stores, Habitat for Humanity, and building material recovery places. Seems to me these new spouts only work on paper - I think they double the problem they were supposed to help with.

GsT

I've been replacing the crap spouts with these. You may have to search for your particular thread size, but it does exist.

Just to add to these new gas cans . I took my gas cans to fill and 2 of my sons , and maybe my way of filling is incorrect so please let me know . I set one of his cans , new plastic , on the ground next to the pump , holding it with one hand and inserting the fuel nozzle in about half way so air could escape. As soon as I started filling gas splashed out going all over my hand and pants , the only way I could keep that from happening was bearing pulling the nozzle . Not wanting to hold up others I just gave up after just about a third of the 5 gallon can . Once home i wanted to try to figure why , I was surprised to find inside the can was a plastic mesh type filter . Not sure why you would even need to have that ? Some newer vehicles don’t even have replaceable ( other than inside built into the fuel pump assembly ) . Since it’s his can I just gave back as is but is my filling method the cause or maybe just try poking big holes in the mesh screen ?

Back