Aggravating gas cans

Just ditch the spouts. Pull them apart and get the rubber seal that goes to the cap. Machine a small piece of delrin and istall the rubber washer/seal. All the vehicles have a $1 funnel and a small truck ball joint end cap for an oil funnel in them. Doesn't matter where I go, I can put gas, oil and water in without spilling it.

supbart 602
how about a better explanation i googled and am not about to spend an hour or more on that

Here is subpart 602.

And here (below) is the rule on replacement components. The key words are "no person shall" and "install".

Most of the time regs like this go after commercial emissions producers. This one includes the rest of us.

(f) Replacement components. No person may sell, offer for sale, introduce or deliver for introduction into commerce in the United States, import, or install any replacement component for portable fuel containers subject to the standards of this subpart where the component has the effect of disabling, bypassing, or rendering inoperative the emissions controls of the containers.

Emissions controls will be our downfall.

The polyethylene used for current containers for gasoline is itself permeable. I used to carry a 1 gallon emergency supply in my boat. Although the container was sealed well enough to develop a vacuum, the storage are always smelled of gasoline. When I was cleaning out the area, I noticed that the carpet underneath was gooey from gasoline that had seeped out and was dissolving the underlying adhesive.

I replaced the plastic can with a discarded 1 gallon metal can from acetone, painted a suitable shade of red. End of problem.

In transport of fuel, I notice the smell of gasoline in the van even though the cans are sealed tight with a negative pressure inside.

Years ago, I bought a small, battery powered transfer pump that goes on a gas can. Works great for filling the snowmobile without spilling all over the seat. It looks like they're still available on Amazon.

Here is subpart 602.

And here (below) is the rule on replacement components. The key words are "no person shall" and "install".

Most of the time regs like this go after commercial emissions producers. This one includes the rest of us.

(f) Replacement components. No person may sell, offer for sale, introduce or deliver for introduction into commerce in the United States, import, or install any replacement component for portable fuel containers subject to the standards of this subpart where the component has the effect of disabling, bypassing, or rendering inoperative the emissions controls of the containers.
Better make a visit to Tractor supply before they are no longer available.

Back