A Project Quest

I was just thinking about your balancing weights, Mark. By making one of the three longer, and hence heavier, aren't you introducing an out of balance condition to begin with, regardless of the wheel itself? Seems like this may work against you. Not that you couldn't compensate with the other 2 weights, but I was taught in general to make balancing work with the lightest weights possible. Since the wheels are supposed to be pretty close when they get to you, I hope you don't need all that much steel.

Reactions: ome
Mark, one question, if I ever wanted to make this in my hobby shop, would I absolutely need a four jaw chuck.
I spent 1200. On my Buck chuck , 3 jaw.
I have never even used or indicated a 4 jaw.

I was just thinking about your balancing weights, Mark. By making one of the three longer, and hence heavier, aren't you introducing an out of balance condition to begin with, regardless of the wheel itself? Seems like this may work against you. Not that you couldn't compensate with the other 2 weights, but I was taught in general to make balancing work with the lightest weights possible. Since the wheels are supposed to be pretty close when they get to you, I hope you don't need all that much steel.
Tony,
You missed part of my explanation. I will be using two weights to balance instead of three. Older hubs had to weights on them , all the newer hubs have three weights. I have read that three weights are much harder to balance with and most people like using two weights better , so that is my plan , to use two weights. The third weight will be an extra but it is a little bit heavier in case it is needed for a badly out of balanced wheel. I hope this helps.

Mark, one question, if I ever wanted to make this in my hobby shop, would I absolutely need a four jaw chuck.
I spent 1200. On my Buck chuck , 3 jaw.
I have never even used or indicated a 4 jaw.
I assume you're asking if you could make this wheel hub in your hobby shop. The answer is yes,I think you could use your three jaw Buck chuck just fine. As long as you can adjust it to run absolutely true it will replace the four jaw chuck.

Reactions: ome
OK Mark, I thought your intention was to use all 3 to achieve balance.

Bill and Mark
Fantastic build and love the size, it's just right for a home shop. I can almost see the finished machine, keep us up to date. I have one suggestion and that is but a second set of bearings while the price is where it is. I bought my bearings for my Quorn and today I can not find them at the price I paid for the first ones, more like double plus.
Looks like a machine in all that metal.
Nelson Collar

I am back full time now and will bring my end up to date over the next few weeks. Thank you all for your understanding.

"Billy G"

Glad the ankles ok. Broken bones are so debilitating, your not ill but theres so much you cant do. Take care

Glad the ankles ok. Broken bones are so debilitating, your not ill but theres so much you cant do. Take care

Dislocated shoulders work similarly. Mine virtually destroyed my summer shop update schedule. Welcome back as well....lookin' forward to more of more of your mutual endeavors..

Back