A Project Quest

Mark only you know what personal difficulty you are are experiencing. While I have my share of hardships, from what I have read, they pale compared to yours. First and foremost I most sincerely hope you can get back to a productive life and overcome your challenges.

On the machining side I have always been impressed with what you can accomplish with your limited machines. I have learned alot about improvisation, and also how to admit that when I make a mistake it is ok, and then how to save the day.

As much as I would like you to continue the project, I would not in any way want my selfish desire to compromise your health or recovery.

All the best

David

Mark,

I appreciate your intention to see the project through. In the event that your situation makes that too difficult, please consider leaving your membership intact and just step back. If circumstances dictate that you have to remain away, no further action will be required. If things improve and you feel that you wish to again become active, you don't have to come up with a new on-line identity.

I got a PM from Bill. He is just out of the hospital. I will get everything I have together and call him on Friday and set a time to CAD the prints. We're getting closer. LOL

"Billy G"

Mark,
I know that feeling. I had about 50 pieces on a blanchard grinder once when the magnet let go. It sounded like a machine gun going off when all the parts flew into the guards. I just hit the floor until the noise stopped.
Bill did you need new drawers too. Must have been scary as heck . Had them blow like that and it ruined the machine never ground right after.

Another topic for discussion is the seals on the spindle ends. Do you all think we should use rubber oil seals or a labyrinth seal? Rubber seals are much easier but put a drag on the spindle and create more heat, while the labyrinth seal is more difficult to machine but creates no drag or heat. Are there any other seal options? I have done both types and have a preference , but would like to hear ALL options and opinions.
Anytime there's drag there's a certain amount of heat , causing breakdown of the seal and wear on the surface. Labyrinth sounds better to me. My two cents plus or miness .

I must have assumed that the design/build was directed at facilitating hobbyist machinist's access to a home built surface grinder. A design appropriate for highly experienced/capable machinists is another matter.
I would hope that our members would be willing to work that out.
Maybe a collaboration between several using each ones strengths WELDER electrician machining , painting . Some making different parts for the others unable , but have other strengths to offer.
At least I think we can help each other out.

Moved to Members Projects. We are ready to start again.

"Billy G"

I should be getting together with Bill on Friday to get the prints started. It will depend on his health. Going over what I have I had to make more changes that I forgot when this project went to the back burner. The water-jet cutter has the steel and is waiting for me. I would like to have that done at the end of next week. Fingers are crossed.

"Billy G"

Billy,
I have a doctors appointment today so will let you know what is going on later this afternoon.

Spoke with Billy G today and will be starting to put his design of this grinder on cad soon. I will release the prints to Billy G only as it is his design. It will be up to him to release them to anyone or post them as he sees fit.

Back