8520? 8525?

OK. One of the updates must have significantly increased it since I became abnormal. :whistle:

Robert D.

I "did" know that an o.p. could edit his/her own post(s) to fix a mistake.. I "didn't" know the length of time tho'..

I thought I'd have a bit of fun with Robert, who always seems to have the most factual and knowledgable answers..

Last edited:
I haven't done much with my mill over the summer, I did do a couple of small slotting operations in some motor brackets for my street rod and I did get a boring head and a sine bar.. The boring head was purchased from Enco on one of their 20% specials, an import tool but the reviews were very good so I went for it. The sine bar was a gift from a machinist friend, a tool he made back in his vocational h.s. days. I'm becoming a tool hound so I was glad to have it! :lmao:

I thought I'd ask if I was still top of the list... not rushing you! Not much happening... just curious is all!

Actually I haven't had the chance to do anything with it over the last few weeks. We've been super busy at work, I do have stock on hand for making the brake cam, but it's going to be a few weeks now before I can even think about working on it. I expect that it should only take a couple of hours or so to make it and the handle, and I was hoping to have it done before now, but luck has not been with me when it comes to spare time. I do have it on the top of my list, however, so it will be the first thing I work on once I can get back in the shop.

No problem, glad you spoke up. I was just looking at the drawing for that part a couple of days ago and commented to myself that I have to get that part made and sent off to you. I am finally nearing the end of my busy schedule, with this weekend being the last one that is booked up. I should be able to make your brake cam by next weekend if nothing blows up on me in the coming days.

Wow, that's great! I'm glad the timing worked out for me this time.

Maybe Terryworm has some news on the brake cam??

Well, stay cool and look forward to hearing from you all.

Here's a couple links for general info on your mill as well as other machines. http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html
Here's the sub-link for Clausing mills. http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing%20vertical/
Terry is correct about those fine feed gears, mine were stripped out when I gotit. Lucky for me, I'd found another complete head on eBay I had bought too as a"Just in Case" since I knew from research that parts were hard tocome by and the gears were good in that one, just swapped them out.
I'll be watching this thread too since my brake doesn't work. I haven'tdissassembled mine to see what's wrong with it yet.
Terry, what's your opinion on having an operational brake beyond fast stops forsafety reasons ? Any other use for it you've came across ?
BTW:

Terry, I mightbe convinced to part with the spare drawbar if you desire.

Thanks for the reply JP.. My fine feed gears are fine (no pun intended!) :roflmao:

I think the best thing about having the brake mechanism working will be getting mills and bits out of the collets. Right now I have to hang onto the secondary drive belt, squeeze both "sides" together to capture the pulley then turn the drawbar nut. It's do-able but "clunky" and I have to watch out that I don't get oils on the belt with my hand.

Oh and thanks for the links. Already had'em but it's nice to know others are willing to share!

Here's a couple links for general info on your mill as well as other machines. http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html
Here's the sub-link for Clausing mills. http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing%20vertical/
Terry is correct about those fine feed gears, mine were stripped out when I gotit. Lucky for me, I'd found another complete head on eBay I had bought too as a"Just in Case" since I knew from research that parts were hard tocome by and the gears were good in that one, just swapped them out.
I'll be watching this thread too since my brake doesn't work. I haven'tdissassembled mine to see what's wrong with it yet.
Terry, what's your opinion on having an operational brake beyond fast stops forsafety reasons ? Any other use for it you've came across ?
BTW:

Terry, I mightbe convinced to part with the spare drawbar if you desire.

If Terry doesn't want the Draw Bar, I would be interested.

"Billy G"

I will definitely take the drawbar. We'll work out the details on PM.

The brake is necessary for tightening and loosening the drawbar so that you can change tooling.

Back