8520? 8525?

HMMMmm... still to quiet...:))

I've been searching for a drill chuck. Seems an obvious thing to have with a vertical mill I think. I don't know if one was available originally but it seems that to have one now I'll need to purchase the components to assemble one.

I see a shank in mt2 with 3/8 - 16 and it has (I assume a taper to accept) a chuck, some are keyless.

Has any one tried this arrangement? Does it work well? Or is a threaded chuck better? Any opinions are welcome. TIA

I've been searching for a drill chuck. .... I see a shank in mt2 with 3/8 - 16 and it has (I assume a taper to accept) a chuck, some are keyless. Has any one tried this arrangement? Does it work well? Or is a threaded chuck better? Any opinions are welcome. TIA

I don't know anything about Clausings.

However, In my Cincy Toolmaster I run an Albrecht 1/2 with MT2, and am looking for a Cincy MT3 so I can run the Wahstrom I already have. While I have a Jacobs with a 3/4 straight shaft, I try to move the larger and certainly the bread and butter drilling to my Walker Turner 1100 Drill Press.

Regardless, I've to had any trouble with slippage with either system. Understand that my Cincy uses a collet nut instead of a drawbar.

Daryl
MN

Thanks for the reply, The question stands tho, is the tapered chuck "secure" enough for most drilling jobs?
And while I do have a drill press (Delta) , there will be times when a setup is complete in the mill and it would be easier and better to have the tools to add a hole instead of moving to the drill press.

I don't know anything about Clausings.

However, In my Cincy Toolmaster I run an Albrecht 1/2 with MT2, and am looking for a Cincy MT3 so I can run the Wahstrom I already have. While I have a Jacobs with a 3/4 straight shaft, I try to move the larger and certainly the bread and butter drilling to my Walker Turner 1100 Drill Press.

Regardless, I've to had any trouble with slippage with either system. Understand that my Cincy uses a collet nut instead of a drawbar.

Daryl
MN

I assume your spindle is a MT2. I always prefer a taper on the chuck end of the adapter, screwed on chucks can unscrew if you need to run in reverse, like tapping operations. I have had only one slip in about 50 years machining. I don't know what taper is the best on the chuck end, they all seem to work just fine.

Thanks Jim. That adds a lot of confidence. I've probably (in the past) used the discussed chuck and never even realized it before!
Never had to think about it! :thinking:

And you raise a good point about the reverse operation and unthreading! Thanks for taking the time and replying! :))

I assume your spindle is a MT2. I always prefer a taper on the chuck end of the adapter, screwed on chucks can unscrew if you need to run in reverse, like tapping operations. I have had only one slip in about 50 years machining. I don't know what taper is the best on the chuck end, they all seem to work just fine.

The taper on the chuck end is usually a Jacobs Taper, or JT. There are several different ones, each with its own number, as in the chart on Wikipedia on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper

Note that the sizes are not in order from smallest to largest, but are placed in numerical order.

Drill chuck arbors will usually have two sizes, one for the machine taper, such as MT2, and one for the drill chuck taper, such as JT33 for example.

Enco, for example has them available in their catalog on this page: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=476&PMCTLG=00

The one thing that you need to remember though is that for your mill you want an arbor that does not have a tang on it. Instead you need one for a drawbar with 3/8"-16 thread. If I remember correctly you had determined that your Clausing mill spindle is set up for a #2 Morse Taper.

You are correct TW, it is a MT2 (8520) Collect and I have found a few units setup for the MT2 w\ 3/8"-16 drawbar and a JT33 mounted chuck.

Thanks for the reply!

Don't ever rely on the drawbar size and thread though.... B&S #7 taper uses the same drawbar as MT2, namely 3/8"-16. Just thought it might be a good idea to point that out for those that don't know.

You are correct TW, it is a MT2 (8520) Collect and I have found a few units setup for the MT2 w\ 3/8"-16 drawbar and a JT33 mounted chuck.

Thanks for the reply!

Those would be the ones you need! Have fun shopping.

Haven't written much of anything in this thread for awhile... Just this weekend I ordered a set of collets from tools 4 cheap.. I don't believe they were the cheapest but they're sort of local to me so I like to give a preference for those vendors.

Maybe Terryworm has some news on the brake cam??

Well, stay cool and look forward to hearing from you all.

Back