8520? 8525?

Actually I haven't had the chance to do anything with it over the last few weeks. We've been super busy at work, gone most of the week every week for the last while now. Later this week I will be heading out of town with my dad for a couple of weeks. He wants to travel and go see his sister, but he can no longer travel alone, so we're making an adventure trip out of it, four wheeling in Moab and in the San Juans, some hiking in Canyonlands and Arches, even white water rafting on the Arkansas before we return home. I do have stock on hand for making the brake cam, but it's going to be a few weeks now before I can even think about working on it. I expect that it should only take a couple of hours or so to make it and the handle, and I was hoping to have it done before now, but luck has not been with me when it comes to spare time. I do have it on the top of my list, however, so it will be the first thing I work on once I can get back in the shop.

3MT and R8 (after the fact correction - not R8 which is 7/16"-20) also commonly uses 3/8"-16 drawbar thread.

Robert D.

Don't ever rely on the drawbar size and thread though.... B&S #7 taper uses the same drawbar as MT2, namely 3/8"-16. Just thought it might be a good idea to point that out for those that don't know.

Last edited:
3MT and R8 also commonly use 3/8"-16 drawbar thread.

Robert D.

Funny, the last R8 collets I looked at all had 7/16-20 thread. 3MT does use 3/8-16, but the Clausing 85xx series of mills were never offered with 3MT or R8, the spindle is simply not large enough.

Thanks for the update TW.. Have a great time in your travels and enjoy the time with family!

I'm in no rush, nothing pressing.

TW,

Oops. You're right. I was thinking about some milling cutter holders that I have and wrote R8 by mistake. Retroactive correction added.

Robert D.

Last edited:
No problem, Robert. I figured that you meant something else (I do that all the time) or else maybe you had been partying without us. :drink2:

I just didn't want someone else looking at their R8 collets and drawbar and then wondering what was wrong. :headscratch:

Yah. About the only advantage to being a moderator is that you can correct your mistakes retroactively.:whiteflag:

Robert D.

HMmmmm.. didn't know it was possible.. Your posts are always the most factual and knowledgeable.. :allgood: Just teasin'! :man:

Yah. About the only advantage to being a moderator is that you can correct your mistakes retroactively.:whiteflag:

Robert D.

The original poster has edit access to his/her posts for a brief period after save/send (I've forgotten whether it is 30 or 60 minutes). Moderators have indefinite edit access. Which is handy for me as I have been known to write something that 10 minutes or 10 hours later even I couldn't figure out what I meant. One of the advantages of a bulletin board over a reflector is that posts are permanently accessible. But one of the disadvantages of bulletin boards is also that incorrect posts are permanently accessible. So if someone writes something as fact that they later discover is incorrect, we can if asked go back and correct it.

Robert D.

The original poster has edit access to his/her posts for a brief period after save/send (I've forgotten whether it is 30 or 60 minutes).

Robert D.

We normal members have 1440 minutes (24 hr) to edit our posts.

Back