8520? 8525?

Here is something that you will find useful, namely a link to the downloads section with two PDFs covering the Clausing 8520/8525 mills. One is a scan of the original owner's manual/parts list, the other is a document created by one of our members on rebuilding the head of one of these mills. Both valuable to have.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/vbdownloads.php?categoryid=43

PS: The belt sizes are listed right in the parts listing drawings, which is where I got the correct ones in the first place. My mill did not have the correct belts on it when I got it, plus one of the bearings in the jackshaft pulley was junk, and the other was probably not far behind. I ordered replacement bearings from McMaster-Carr and picked up the belts at the local hardware store. Mine also has four teeth stripped off of one of the fine feed gears, and I plan to make a replacement in the not too distant future. The handle was also missing from the brake on mine, so I made a new handle for it and picked up a simple plastic knob at the hardware store downtown.

I also just noticed that the brake handle and possibly the brake cam shaft are missing from yours. Let me know if that is the case and I can either make one and send it to you or I can dimension it out, draw it up, and send you the drawing so you can make your own.

The handle was also missing from the brake on mine, so I made a new handle for it and picked up a simple plastic knob at the hardware store downtown.
I also just noticed that the brake handle and possibly the brake cam shaft are missing from yours. Let me know if that is the case and I can make one and send it to you.

Hey, Thanks for that link! That could be invaluable info right there! I already downloaded it and will print it and keep it with the machine.

BRAKE? Didn't know there was one! :panic: YIKES! I guess we'll have to do some investigation and see what is really missing and what's there.. If you can whip up some parts? I'd be grateful and certainly pay you for the time / materials!

Here's some pics of the drawbar and I'm hopeful ya'll can read my chicken scratch writing! :roflmao:

mill 12 small.jpg mill 11 small.jpg mill 10 small.jpg mill 9 small.jpg mill 8 small.jpg mill 7 small.jpg mill 6 small.jpg

Thanks for the photos and the measurements! It is very close to what I had designed here.

I'll be happy to make up the part for you, but you had better look up inside and make sure that the brake is there, if it is not, the cam and lever will not do you much good. The brake is referred to as a 'plate' #556-022 and two other 'plates' #556-021 The brake cam shaft sits between the two small plates, pushing them out when the cam shaft is turned. This in turn expands the braking plate against the inside of the pulley, quickly bringing the spindle to a stop.

The camshaft is a pretty straightforward part to make, but needs to be hardened to keep it from wearing away from normal use. I'll pop mine out, dimension it and draw it up so that I can make you one, provided that the braking plate is present on your machine. I can see from the photos that the camshaft and handle are missing, but one needs to look up inside to see the braking plate.

Let me know what you find. If you have any questions, I'll take a photo of mine so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the photos and the measurements! It is very close to what I had designed here.

I'll be happy to make up the part for you, but you had better look up inside and make sure that the brake is there, if it is not, the cam and lever will not do you much good. The brake is referred to as a 'plate' #556-022 and two other 'plates' #556-021 The brake cam shaft sits between the two small plates, pushing them out when the cam shaft is turned. This in turn expands the braking plate against the inside of the pulley, quickly bringing the spindle to a stop.

The camshaft is a pretty straightforward part to make, but needs to be hardened to keep it from wearing away from normal use. I'll pop mine out, dimension it and draw it up so that I can make you one, provided that the braking plate is present on your machine. I can see from the photos that the camshaft and handle are missing, but one needs to look up inside to see the braking plate.

Let me know what you find. If you have any questions, I'll take a photo of mine so you can see what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I'll have to have a look inside, that link you provided earlier is going to come in handy already! I also notice that the data plate is missing also.. sheesh!

On a good note tho'... I did run a new circuit over and fabbed a couple bolts to hold the vice in place - chucked an end mill and turned a small piece of aluminum into chips! No real big deal but it's a beginning! :victory:

As always, Thanks for the help!

When you have the front cover off to change the secondary drive belt, look up under the pulley on the spindle. If it's hollow, your brake plate is missing. If you find a plate there that is free to move around a bit, and has two ears sticking out of one side, that is your brake plate.

Congrats on making some chips with it!

It's back to work.. so I may have some time this evening to investigate.. Back with more later..

I'm hoping to make some time to look into the Brake Mechanism tonite..

But I was thinking, I'll need some hold downs / step blocks etc. etc. etc.... Is there a kit that's preferred? I'm unsure of the size(s) and I see some on Ebay.. I know they are import but are they okay?

Any opinions are welcomed!

(TW, are you and I the only ones that come in here? I mean besides Mods!?!?) :lmao:

TW, I did remove the front cover and indeed the "cam" and handle mechanism is gone but the brake mechanism is in place!
Looks like numbers 700-026 "Shaft" and 8540-93 "Ball Handle Assy."

So let's talk about re-creating one okay? :))

Last edited:
Been real quiet in here as of late so I thought I'd post an update. I did do some shopping and purchased 2 hold down kits, 1 in 3/8" studs and another in 1/2" studs. I got them both from Enco as they were running a special.

Got your PM's TW and looking forward to seeing the cam setup re-created for the brake. the other thing I need to do is come up with a tram setup. Need to get the head squared up with confidence.

Back