8520? 8525?

34_40

Just a beginner
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just came home with a Clausing mill, p.o. says it's a 8525 and it uses a M.T. 2 collet, but I read that a 8525 should be using a Brown & Sharpe 7.... is there someway to verify (easily) the quill setup? Maybe a measurement or two?

it also has a new 120 volt 1 hp motor and the draw bar is the push to release type.

So, I have a bunch to learn and I'll snap some pics to share with you... I also have to sell an Atlas H.M. now... what an upgrade!:lmao:

That information is correct. The 8520 and 8530 used MT2, while the 8525 and 8535 used B&S #7 taper. Mine uses MT2 and is an 8520. So far I have a full set of collets for it, a drill chuck, and four end mill holders, 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4". Mine is missing the pushout nut for the drawbar so I will have to make one of those along with a new drawbar. It is currently using a long 3/8" bolt which works okay, but the pushout feature would be really nice. I still need to find a boring head for it and have obtained a set of bevel gears so that I can build a right angle attachment for the spindle.

As for determining which taper you have, do you have any MT2 tooling for a lathe?? If so, test the fit of an MT2 center in the spindle of the mill. If it wants to stay on its own, then your spindle is MT2. If it does not fit well, and will not tend to stick in the spindle on its own, then you have a B&S #7 spindle. That's about the only way I know to check as both types of collet use the same 3/8"-16 thread on the drawbar.

Thanks TW! I hope to make some time this weekend and "play" with it some. I do have some other MT2 pieces so I'll try them and report back.

I'll also take my camera to the shop and snap a few pics.. I saw on another post you mentioned that you needed pics or info of the pushout draw bar, if this is still true I would be obliged to help in anyway I can! Just holler if you need them!

Thanks for the offer on the pics, they would certainly be valuable, especially if someone else is in the same boat.

I have already engineered one of my own and have it all drawn up, now I just need to make the parts. But, photos of yours before I get started would be great, just in case I need to make any changes.

Thank you!

The bottom of this article explains how to check for MT2 or BS7

http://bridgeport.askmisterscience.com/colletproblem.htm

Thanks for that Andre! I'll be sure to check this out!

TW, I owe you another thanks... :)) I was reading your description of the drill handle operation and the fine handwheel operation and knew that mine isn't working right, so I dis-assembled and it was a good thing too as everything was dirty and dry - no lube anywhere! I found the collar that should push in / pull out to be bottomed out and the setscrew tightened in the wrong position! So I dis-assembled it further, cleaned and polished the shaft and got everything working smoothly! So thanks for that!!

I did find a couple of BS7 attachments but with the pushbar in place they won't go in far enough.?.?.? So I'll read some more and re-investigate.

TW, I did get some general pics today, I'll get some of the pushbar parts tomorrow..

til then.

mill 1 small.jpg

mill 2 small.jpg

mill 3 small.jpg

mill 4 small.jpg

mill 5 small.jpg

mill 1 small.jpg mill 2 small.jpg mill 3 small.jpg mill 4 small.jpg mill 5 small.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I see that yours came with the original Clausing vise, as did mine. That rotary table you got is huge though.

Good job on the quick fix to the fine feed, glad to hear that yours is in good shape. Just keep in mind that if you use the fine feed, don't over do it. Those brass gears are really easy to strip out.

Thanks Again TW! I'll grab some pics of the pushbar in the morning and post'em about dinner time..

I see in my other thread (in the Atlas forum) regarding belts / link belts.. you mention that you kept the numbers for the drive belts.
Could I ask you to share the part numbers? The belt from the motor is to short on mine and I'm not certain it's the right width either..

I think the final drive belt is fine, but between the two of them, speed selection is way more dificult than it needs to be! TIA!.. :))

Thanks Again TW! I'll grab some pics of the pushbar in the morning and post'em about dinner time..

I see in my other thread (in the Atlas forum) regarding belts / link belts.. you mention that you kept the numbers for the drive belts.
Could I ask you to share the part numbers? The belt from the motor is to short on mine and I'm not certain it's the right width either..

I think the final drive belt is fine, but between the two of them, speed selection is way more dificult than it needs to be! TIA!.. :))

Sure! But I can only share them after you are sworn to absolute secrecy. If these numbers fall into the wrong hands, well, anything could happen!! :rofl:

The primary drive is a Gates Tru-Flex 2220 (industry number 4L220) 1/2" wide, 22" long
The secondary drive is a Gates Tru-Flex 2480 (industry number 4L480) 1/2" wide, 48" long

Fifteen bucks should buy you both belts at your local hardware store, tax included. Six feet of link belt would run you about $60, four times the price of regular vee belts. Kind of a no brainer, ain't it?? No offense to you fans of the link-belts, but many things with my hobby are related to economics. The $45 I save on the belts can be used to buy raw materials for projects or other tooling instead!

Sure! But I can only share them after you are sworn to absolute secrecy. If these numbers fall into the wrong hands, well, anything could happen!! :rofl:

The primary drive is a Gates Tru-Flex 2220 (industry number 4L220) 1/2" wide, 22" long
The secondary drive is a Gates Tru-Flex 2480 (industry number 4L480) 1/2" wide, 48" long

HMMMmmmm.. looks like it's my secondary belt that is too short! That primary belt number matches up with mine..
Again, thanks for the help!:man:

ps.. I've jotted down the numbers on a piece of scratch paper (which I'll swallow after memorizing the numbers!) but in my cryptic chicken scratch handwriting,
I think we're safe from discovery!! :nuts: :)) :jester:

Back