2016 POTD Thread Archive

What kind of airplane is that? Is it experimental? I'm jus curious because there isn't much opportunity to make and install your own parts unless the aircraft is experimental. It definitely looks much nicer than the previous version.

It's a Fisher FP-404, yes, experimental. I could never afford to maintain a non experimental.

Not exactly a day project, but I finished up a 2x8 spindle copy for my lathe, Need to make some backing plates so I had to make a copy of the spindle to use in checking fit of on them. Started it, broke my tools and had to wait for a while as my new ones came in. Not bad, but maybe I should have polished it up etc. But it is for my use and so it does not have to look pretty. Other than here no one will see it.
Did have fun trying to get it off the main shaft, unable to part off a 3" piece of steel, so put it in the band saw, Broke 2 blades, Finally got it cut off and kept dropping it on the concrete. Hands would not work properly today. In fact I have had to retype this thing several times already
.Lathe spindle 003.jpg Lathe spindle 005.jpg Lathe spindle 006.jpg

Made a cylindrical square on the new lathe to test out the headstock alignment. Came out damn near perfect. Couldn't measure any inconsistency in the diameter with two different mics. Big improvement over the old chattering Atlas 12".

7fecf3733b8bb8eee0af3b2df81980d8.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Looks great. Have you checked it for squareness yet?

Made a quick fly cutter for come large facing jobs to come.
A chunk of mild steel bolted to the face plate with a hole (more of them to come) for the cutter, held in place with 6mm screw.
fly-cutter.jpg
The angle plate will be part of my vertical slide. I knew when I welded the boss to one side it would bow somewhat which is why I made the fly cutter.
A quick test to see if it would work (it does) and the final face off will be done once the triangular gussets are welded in place.
test-face.jpg

It's amazing to me what you do with that 9x20! It makes quite a milling machine.
Robert

Thanks Robert, just gotta use what yer got and make the best of it.
I was quite pleased with the smoothness of the test cut although it doesnt look like it in the pic.

This one has a 2.5W laser and around an A3 operating envelope.

I had been slowly collecting components to build something similar with the intention of building an XY gantry and being able to swap between a laser, router and possibly a plasma cutter torch for the actual tool. But then I saw this kit on special so decided to go that way as this playing around with CNC is all new to me so is probably easier to start with something that should work first (and we can Frankenstein it later and expand).
http://www.banggood.com/2500mW-A3-3...re-CNC-Printer-Assembling-Kits-p-1003863.html

2.5W should allow me to engraver (well burn) wood and plastic and cut paper, foam and leather. Wont do anything to metal - you need to go to 50W CO2 lasers for that sort of thing, But I do hope to have some nice tool control foam inserts for my cabinet drawers in the my near future.

Will start a thread with the assembly and trial operation.
It will do something to metal! With a little help... First of all, you can use it to do your layout with dykem. Dykem burns off easily with laser light. I've done it on an older, low power CO2 laser at a shop where I used to work. It worked great.

But perhaps more interesting to you, it can "etch" metal by "spray painting" it first with a special product, I think ceramic based. I wish I could recall the name of the stuff. It then bonds to the metal anywhere the laser draws, leaving a deposit maybe 0.001-0.002" thick that looks like it was etched by a more powerful laser. Fairly durable coating as well.

Yep, it is ceramic-based. CerMark and TherMark are the products. Also good for glass, tile, and more. You could potentially pay for your machine by making replacement ID plates for restorations for guys on this forum. ;)

Back