2016 POTD Thread Archive

Here we go again with the Tapatalk not doing pictures properly. Ebgb68 we or at least I cannot see your pics on here.

Mark_f I'm in the process of making a plug for my lathe, it is even a more od size. It is a 2 inch with a 8 TPI, I have seen several 2 1/4 x 6tpi backing plates on ebay etc. but the one 2 x 8 that I found actually turned out to be a 2 1/4 x 8 so I was unable to use it. Thus making a plug and have a chunk of steel to make a backing plate. THen I will look a making a couple more so I have them.
I just started turning it down, and found out that my threading tool will not work, so I have to use a different one when I get to that point. Started off with a piece of 3 inch round bar, (yea a little big to start with) but it is what I found. so it will work.
Hope mine turns out as nice looking as the one you just did.

Here we go again with the Tapatalk not doing pictures properly. Ebgb68 we or at least I cannot see your pics on here.
It's working on my phone ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mark_f I'm in the process of making a plug for my lathe, it is even a more od size. It is a 2 inch with a 8 TPI, I have seen several 2 1/4 x 6tpi backing plates on ebay etc. but the one 2 x 8 that I found actually turned out to be a 2 1/4 x 8 so I was unable to use it. Thus making a plug and have a chunk of steel to make a backing plate. THen I will look a making a couple more so I have them.
I just started turning it down, and found out that my threading tool will not work, so I have to use a different one when I get to that point. Started off with a piece of 3 inch round bar, (yea a little big to start with) but it is what I found. so it will work.
Hope mine turns out as nice looking as the one you just did.
The 2 1/4-8 is a popular size, but 2 1/4-6 is as rare as unicorn poop. The 14 1/2" South Bend is the only machine I have ever seen that used it. No one sells back plates that size. I watch eBay but don't often see them ( and most of those sellers can't measure a thread correctly). Once I get some made my friend will have a good machine.
When I cut large threads like these, I grind a tool from 1/4" square HSS and use it in my 5/8" boring bar. It makes a sturdy setup. Less flex and chatter, makes a smoother thread.

Its interesting, the e-mail message I got showing the reply to this thread, has all the pics just fine, I come here, and only get the infamous red X.

Its interesting, the e-mail message I got showing the reply to this thread, has all the pics just fine, I come here, and only get the infamous red X.
That's typical. The images work fine when viewed outside of the desktop browser version of the forum. I tried to post an image last week with the attachment option, which was a known workaround, but it repeatedly failed, suggesting I use the Tapatalk image upload instead. I've only seen it once so far but it's not a good sign.

The infamous red x's on cascao and EB posts is all I see. :confused:

I miss this thread I've peeked a few times but life's kept me busy.
Now that the temps are dropping here in Mi I've worked on some projects. I'm a newbie at turning barrels so I needed a way to polish my work. emoji12.png .
I need to research boring holes I seem to be chasing bore measurements . Cutter flex has to be the issue they end up tapered ?
After going over and making smaller cuts I got where I wanted to be.
Somehow I lost pictures of the ends done but you guys know what the look like.
Here it is in action .
78daa4a06d8994447c6d293d8547f398.jpg
95e01ff3c8fe851e744aed7d4e986f8d.jpg893829e6699a25bf67141ac2e34046e7.jpgd7cce3eea9a02fb7bc5ec2619092d189.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back