2016 POTD Thread Archive

Started some serious work on making a power feed for my BF-20VL (G0704 clone). Forgive the terrible finish, not a professional machinist in any way.

Where is the "terrible finish"?
I have seen (gun) parts with a worse finish being sold for $$'s
maybe that should be $$$'s, 'cause IMHO they were expensive.

I mentioned a couple months ago about the mint-condition vintage Bernina sewing machine I gave my wife for Mother's Day. I haven't spent very much time on it since then, with so many other projects in the way. I finally sat down with it today and I'm quite proud to say that I fixed it. As far as we can tell it is working perfectly. She already pulled out a couple of her shirts from the closet and "took them in". :)

No time in the shop, but very productive, made my wife happy, and left me with that feeling of having not only accomplished something, but having overcome a significant challenge (Bernina no longer even has diagrams or service manuals on this 1953 model, and I have no training as a sewing machine repair technician). I don't know about you, but I need that every now-and-then to keep me going. It makes up for the other days.

I also got my Hackintosh (custom-built computer running Mac OS X) working again this weekend. LONG story about why it stopped around the same time (late May), and the same reason I haven't been able to touch it since then. But it's working again and I can finally put this thing to good use. I'm going to start posting YouTube videos soon (I've been recording a bit, but I've been unable to edit and upload without the computer working), under the channel name Glue and Sparks. There is nothing to see yet, but if anyone is inexplicably interested in subscribing already here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy9t5z7wW4jLFbITrPMIXsw

Oh, and my mother's huge home renovation project is basically finished. I put the finishing touches on the construction of a built-in shelf yesterday. It and three doors need to be painted and then WE'RE DONE. Just one evening this next week and then I can finally have my Saturdays back! And it's cooling down enough that I can stand to be in my shop after work on weekdays as well. :)

Have done machinist clamps as Harold Hall plans. But used hex nuts to be tightened by wrench

29109957006_f855c4650b.jpg

In order to protect my car's body, have done this pad in polyurethane.

29109971356_b7dc182627.jpg

29065378761_9b1fc32df7.jpg

But with load, polyurethane didn't look happy

28521195584_02b3c9ea6c.jpg

So. Have done an sleeve and everything have gone right

28524254523_5162f7b3c9.jpg

Durn, Jim! That's a pretty lengthy "over the river and through the woods" trip to get to where you needed to be. But you got there!!! Congratulations!

A little more. I thought I was going to have to make a big production out of pressing the shaft into the cylinder, but a few whacks with a 4 lb dead blow hammer shoved it right in. Not quite as tight as I though it would be, so I'm probably going to have to pin the cylinder to the shaft.;)

I mounted it back in the lathe on the shaft and took a clean up cut. Here is the tool bit I used. The cutting angles used to cut UHMW are much steeper than you would normally use for metal. You want a shearing action to get a clean cut. Ran it at 450 RPM and about 0.002 feed. When cutting UHMW you want to keep the speed down so it is actually cutting and not melting the plastic.

The top view
upload_2016-8-22_12-29-10.png

and the front view.
upload_2016-8-22_12-29-53.png

Then the facing operation. The nearest tool I had in arms reach that would easily reach to the depth I needed was a boring tool. Just because it is designed for one purpose doesn't mean you can't use it for another purpose. In machining there is no right or wrong! What ever is safe and gets the job done is fair game.:)

upload_2016-8-22_12-37-27.png

And facing the other end. I just flipped the tool over and ran the lathe backwards to make this cut.

upload_2016-8-22_12-39-2.png

And here it is set up for the next operations, just as soon as I figure out exactly what it's supposed to look like. Still working on that.:cautious:
upload_2016-8-22_12-43-56.png

I made a spindle plug today, to match the spindle on a friend's 14 1/2" south bend lathe. This lathe has a different thread than all the rest. It is 2 1/4"-6 thread. We got the lathe from a school auction and are setting it up in his garage. I will use this plug to make him some back plates and a body for an ER 40 collet chuck. I will thread everything on my lathe and then put on his spindle to finish.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I miss this thread I've peeked a few times but life's kept me busy.
Now that the temps are dropping here in Mi I've worked on some projects. I'm a newbie at turning barrels so I needed a way to polish my work. .
I need to research boring holes I seem to be chasing bore measurements . Cutter flex has to be the issue they end up tapered ?
After going over and making smaller cuts I got where I wanted to be.
Somehow I lost pictures of the ends done but you guys know what the look like.
Here it is in action .
20160821_183201_zpsufzxkmno.jpg
20160821_183701_zpsucspds46.jpg
20160822_203729_zpszb2ghn2q.jpg
20160822_205316_zpsgh7jt2ky.jpg
20160822_205518_zpse4w0va5u.jpg
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back