2016 POTD Thread Archive

I did, as well. I wish I had known about him a week ago. Could have saved a few bucks and received more stock as well. I'll definitely keep it in mind in the future. Thank you!

Looks great Paco. I sure with I had enough room for a small brake and shear but unfortunately I am busting at the seams as is. It would be great for small projects like you just posted.

Hi Mike, I still need to bring the break into the shop as well as the Ellis 1800 horizontal band saw and its input/output roller feeds. Still far from done. The shearing was all done by hand with the disposable HF hand held. I probably use the break once a month but have built several auxiliary fuel tanks with it. Being a manual machine, it takes all I have to break a 60" piece of 14 gauge. Eventually I wish to add a hydraulic system with limit switches for angle control and pain free back. Here's an example of a tapered break of 1/8" aluminum for a removable roof on a buggy. For a machine that is way older than me it still breaks crisp. My attached shop was only 1300sf , I worked all these machines for nearly 16 years in cramped conditions. I truly understand your statement on "busting at the seams". You have a very nice, organized work space with no shortage of skill.
IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0641.JPG

After straightening and cleaning the garage the other day. I came across 2 boxes of 6" swivel wheels. I was looking at them this morning and trying to figure what I could use em for. Then I looked out at the driveway and saw my wife's plow sitting there. Thought to myself, sure would be nice to be able to move that around a bit. So I grabbed some old bed rail I had and welded up a cart using a set of those wheels. Jacked the plow up and put it under. Showed the wife how easy it is to just push it up to the truck and just put the pins in. Made her happy. I should have taken a picture before I put it under the plow though.

This has been a several day project, I've wanted to make a ER40 collet holder for my MK2 lathe, but the only tooling I had for the compound was the lantern tool holder. In my opinion, a non-starter. I settled on the Patterson type of tool holder, a solid cylinder mounted on the compound with any number of individual or combined tool holders to clamp on the cylinder. The first holder turned out to be one that holds a 5/16 HSS tool and a .500 boring bar. Of course, any tool with a 1/2 shank will go in the boring bar position.
Here it is with a drill, opening up the hole for the 1" 10 threads on my to be ER40 collet holder. Once this end is done, I can mount it on the spindle and finish the other end. I'm not sure yet how i'm going to manage the 50 x 1.5 mm thread on the other end.
(Hope this picture works, I don't have TapTalk, so that won't be a problem.)

Patterson tool.jpg

Hey, it worked.

Thanks guys.
Have an old 8 inch Record that needs some welding John, figured it would bolt up nice on the inside of the lid, be able to hide it when closed.
Actually just started a set of work tables for someone that makes soap. maybe the vice would fit better there.
The tables will be another from the log project, hemlock I sawed a couple of years ago.
As for what I did today, a member from the site drove over and we spent a great afternoon talking shop. Great to meet people from here and chat with someone with the same interests. He brought over a set of spacers he'd made to hold the jaws of my 3 jaw chuck open for a regrind to fix a bad bell mouth issue. Will post when I get to it.

Greg

Talk about time factor, I myself work a week on week off job where I don't come home every day for my week on, then at home I own a garage door company, as well as sometimes sell my machining skills, plus have 2 small kids, as some of you may have noticed my somewhat absence here. I feel your pain bro, there is just never enough time. Something I noticed the other day, my bro in law has been offering me free firewood I just have to come cut it and load it, my time lately has been worth more if I'm not making money and get to play in the shop, I'd rather buy cords of firewood at 175 a pop..... Here's to the guys who never have enough time in the shop

Back