1966 Brown & Sharpe 618 Micromaster spindle repair (pic heavy)

For the few that have followed along with this, I have been slowly increasing the run time to verify I don't have an overheat problem.
All is great!
I'm up to 30 minutes, the front bearing/spindle gets to 96 degrees. The rear really can't be measured.
I'm using an Ames infrared thermometer.
I'm also listening with a mechanic's stethoscope, sounds good.
I'm no expert but I would think I'm safe to run it.
I'll run for an hour tomorrow just to be sure.

I’ve enjoyed your progress and appreciate you sharing the way. My 618 is direct drive, so probably a little different. It’s great that you took care of this yourself and produced the desired result. Nice work.

I’ve enjoyed your progress and appreciate you sharing the way. My 618 is direct drive, so probably a little different. It’s great that you took care of this yourself and produced the desired result. Nice work.
The manual link that Richard shared in this thread has some edits, additions that I don’t have in my copy.
The direct drive is covered in this manual as well. I can tell you, the o-rings are a royal pita to deal with But I think the idea was to isolate vibrations from the motor. The pulleys are a thing of beauty. Very well made and heavy!
Do you have simple bearings with the oil reservoir?
Or, sealed bearings?
I would think the simple bearings would be rigid and extremely durable providing the reservoir always has fresh clean oil.
My spindle unit design is machined so precisely that the pre-load is set by just tightening the bearing retaining nuts.
I was told to clean the threads, place the spanner in the holes and give the wrench a good tap with a brass hammer.
How easy is that! So far so good.

Thank You Jeff, You proved me right.
I am probably the only one who encouraged you to do it yourself.
The mighty dollar made you do it. You had a price of sending it to a spindle company and paying them $3100.00 to do the job.

We talked on the phone and I said it would be so easy with a few tools. Many make machine rebuilding "rocket science" and it's not if you are careful, have a manual so you can see what is inside the machine, have a few tools, your mechanically inclined and have some guts.

After we talked I emailed and talked to my old foreman Craig Laurich as he rebuilds a lot of spindles as he runs a 1 man rebuilding company in Hibbing, MN. now. Jeff talked on the phone with him too and he also told him it was simple. I taught Craig how to do a lot of things plus he is super smart and has had a successful machine rebuilding company for over 25 years. His specialty is he rebuilds Bryant and Techica Center Hole Grinders for Hoff Machinery in Minneapolis. He rebuilds these precision machine from top to bottom, spindle and scraping, etc.

Craig also told you it was simple, also told you to use Kluber grease, how much to use, clean and stone everything.

So anyone out there with a surface grinder with a spindle bearing issue, please ask for help doing it before hand. Don't be a chicken. You have to be careful, have a clean area, clean hands, a game plane and take a lot of pictures.

Some spindles are difficult. One brand I would send to a pro is a Pope spindle as the inner race is a tapered hole that placement of it on a taper in the wrong place can ruin it. Another machine is Hardinge. Hardinge had special made bearings and they had special tools to install them. I toured the Hardinge plant and they had a "secret room" to do the heads.

Jeff has guts, but was afraid to do it at first. I am glad he listened and saved close to $2500.00 He is a good scraper too and he had a good teacher. I knew he could do it himself and he proved it. Thank You Jeff for this post as it is a Good one! :)

Last edited:
Thank You Jeff, You proved me right.
I am probably the only one who encouraged you to do it yourself.
The mighty dollar made you do it. You had a price of sending it to a spindle company and paying them $3100.00 to do the job.

We talked on the phone and I said it would be so easy with a few tools. Many make machine rebuilding "rocket science" and it's not if you are careful, have a manual so you can see what is inside the machine, have a few tools, your mechanically inclined and have some guts.

After we talked I emailed and talked to my old foreman Craig Laurich as he rebuilds a lot of spindles as he runs a 1 man rebuilding company in Hibbing, MN. now. Jeff talked on the phone with him too and he also told him it was simple. I taught Craig how to do a lot of things plus he is super smart and has had a successful machine rebuilding company for over 25 years. His specialty is he rebuilds Bryant and Techica Center Hole Grinders for Hoff Machinery in Minneapolis. He rebuilds these precision machine from top to bottom, spindle and scraping, etc.

Craig also told you it was simple, also told you to use Kluber grease, how much to use, clean and stone everything.

So anyone out there with a surface grinder with a spindle bearing issue, please ask for help doing it before hand. Don't be a chicken. You have to be careful, have a clean area, clean hands, a game plane and take a lot of pictures.

Some spindles are difficult. One brand I would send to a pro is a Pope spindle as the inner race is a tapered hole that placement of it on a taper in the wrong place can ruin it. Another machine is Hardinge. Hardinge had special made bearings and they had special tools to install them. I toured the Hardinge plant and they had a "secret room" to do the heads.

Jeff has guts, but was afraid to do it at first. I am glad he listened and saved close to $2500.00 He is a good scraper too and he had a good teacher. I knew he could do it himself and he proved it. Thank You Jeff for this post as it is a Good one! :)
I have to add, Richard, you sent me a link where to buy the Kluber grease. It was a small quantity, perfect for this job.
If you have the chance to attend one of Richard’s scraping classes they come with lots of fringe benefits.
This is another example, because I took the class I was able to access the resources available to me.
Craig was an unbelievable source for me. Richard called him, he expected my call. He took the time to walk me through each step.

Thanks again Rich!!
Craig called you Dick,

I used to go by that handle when it wasn't a bad word. When Alex my son was playing baseball and I was the assistant coach he asked me to change it as he was embarrassed when I introduced myself to folks.

I used to go by that handle when it wasn't a bad word. When Alex my son was playing baseball and I was the assistant coach he asked me to change it as he was embarrassed when I introduced myself to folks.
My dad’s name was Dick.
His sales manager was also Dick.
So they called my dad big dik and his manager large Richard:)

My Father-in-laws name was Dick too . Ive been married 48 years...well about 45 years ago when I still went by Dick, He was an old army pilot during WW2 so he didn't take a lot of cword...LOL we were at a family picnic and every-time someone yelled hey Dick we both answered.

He was shorter then me, so I said "lets call you little Dick and I'll go by Big Dick"....lol He came back and said "THEHELL WE WILL!!" we both got a good laugh at that. He was a great guy and I miss him a lot.

Finally got around to trying out the spindle.
This part is hardened A2.
The first pic is the same just dressed wheel before I replaced the spindle bearings.
The 2nd and 3rd pics are after.
A big improvement. I hope the pic does it justice.

Attachments

• B6BBA1A7-0C1B-4369-BB11-BFE4A4DF75B4.jpeg
    B6BBA1A7-0C1B-4369-BB11-BFE4A4DF75B4.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 79
  • FF616F0C-862E-4D74-8402-8D00ECAD875A.jpeg
    FF616F0C-862E-4D74-8402-8D00ECAD875A.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 3EFFF3CE-F84A-4B1C-B002-42C0974C42DA.jpeg
    3EFFF3CE-F84A-4B1C-B002-42C0974C42DA.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 72
Back