1966 Brown & Sharpe 618 Micromaster spindle repair (pic heavy)

This was a really awesome thread Jeff. It was great to see you jump in with a "get it done" attitude. The finish on your test pieces looks great.

I have a Bridgeport 815 SG and get about the same finish you got before your build. My surface grinder also has a slightly odd sound, which I suspect is a bearing starting to get annoyed at running. It is going to have to wait though because I have too many projects on my plate.

Thanks for sharing your project!

Last edited:
Looks a lot better; I was hoping that’d be the case. Nice work.

I never would have attempted this repair if Richard King hadn’t guided me along the way.
He also lined me up with some of his industry contacts which saved me a ton of money.

I tried again this morning using a fine white aluminum oxide wheel. The part now has an almost mirror finish that I just can’t seem to capture.
When you are only taking off .0005” or so the fine grain is ok in my experience.
I typically use course open grain wheels. Seems to do an adequate job.

Attachments

• 2E6D5466-05BF-47F5-8F24-DDDC83E5BF2E.jpeg
    2E6D5466-05BF-47F5-8F24-DDDC83E5BF2E.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 73
  • B4EB3C49-0A37-4EFE-BC39-ACF36957C177.jpeg
    B4EB3C49-0A37-4EFE-BC39-ACF36957C177.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 65
I just found this thread. My 618 surface finish looks likes Jeff's before he replaced the bearings. I've been hiding the finish with a creep grind retrofit by storagetek where I got it (2 units actually) for $75 at auction.

Jeff, where did you get the bearings ?

I just found this thread. My 618 surface finish looks likes Jeff's before he replaced the bearings. I've been hiding the finish with a creep grind retrofit by storagetek where I got it (2 units actually) for $75 at auction.

Jeff, where did you get the bearings ?
Sorry, I just saw your reply.

This is a quote from the third page of this thread

"
I highly recommend Bearing Brokers Inc.
The bearings were $103.89 each!!
Not $685 each which was quoted to me by the company that purchased Brown & Sharpe.
I’m good with NSK, Made in Japan.""

PM me if you can't find them.

Back