What Did You Buy Today?

My Clausing Mill has an MT2 spindle . I wish it were R8 to be able to get more options these days, but if I search around I can find most of what I need.

my drill press is MT2, my lathe tailstock is MT4, and the spindle is MT6, so yes, I know. also, the Morse taper in your mill originated in the USA, just like the R8. :)
I was just jerking your chain mate.:big grin:

You did kinda make an assumption "it's a mill; must be R8" :big grin:

As for machine tapers, pretty much all of the modern machine tapers were invented in the US. I think there might have been one invented by Saandvik but I could be wrong on that. The 'fat cone' type of spindle tooling (ISO, BT, SK etc.) used so much in Europe on production mills, follows an American spec (from Cincinnati and someone else I can't recall). You guys are the 'Taper Kings' (you don't be ticklin' or nuthin' :big grin:)

My little jokey dig about you being from the states was referring to the fact that because R8 was originally a Bridgeport standard, R8 has been much more dominant in the US in all mills, even hobby machines.

Over the other side of the Atlantic, whilst R8 has been a lot more popular for quite a while, and R8 is pretty common, you'll also regularly see MT spindles on used smaller mills and often spindle tapers like BT, SK and ISO on production machines.

Besides...I'm not entirely convinced you guys deep down, honestly believe that any country outside the USA is a real country.:grin::p:grin::p:grin:

As for machine tapers, pretty much all of the modern machine tapers were invented in the US. I think there might have been one invented by Saandvik but I could be wrong on that. The 'fat cone' type of spindle tooling (ISO, BT, SK etc.) used so much in Europe on production mills, follows an American spec (from Cincinnati and someone else I can't recall). You guys are the 'Taper Kings' (you don't be ticklin' or nuthin' :big grin:)

My little jokey dig about you being from the states was referring to the fact that because R8 was originally a Bridgeport standard, R8 has been much more dominant in the US in all mills, even hobby machines.

Over the other side of the Atlantic, whilst R8 has been a lot more popular for quite a while, and R8 is pretty common, you'll also regularly see MT spindles on used smaller mills and often spindle tapers like BT, SK and ISO on production machines.

Besides...I'm not entirely convinced you guys deep down, honestly believe that any country outside the USA is a real country.:grin::p:grin::p:grin:
I know you weren't just being mean, that's why I used a smiley face. I didn't even look at your location when I responded, so yes, I made an assumption. I love Morse Taper tooling. there's a reason why they used it back when. BTW, we're not all hicks over here. believe it or not.

we know very well that there are other countries out there, you Euros have been starting wars over there every few decades forever, how could we not notice? :finger wag: and Great Britian did start this industrial machinery obsession we all love.

I know you weren't just being mean, that's why I used a smiley face. I didn't even look at your location when I responded, so yes, I made an assumption. I love Morse Taper tooling. there's a reason why they used it back when. BTW, we're not all hicks over here. believe it or not.

we know very well that there are other countries out there, you Euros have been starting wars over there every few decades forever, how could we not notice? :finger wag: and Great Britian did start this industrial machinery obsession we all love.
Yeah, and like most things we started, these days every-bugger-else is better at it than we are. :grin:

Worlds cutest chainsaw!
a32ec549c4e4bd9ddb2c325b0e147f86.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
That tree trunk in the background does not think so....

View attachment 498055
It's so teensy and cute! :grin:. £25 off eBay. A bit of a punt but it's surprisingly (relative to price ;)) well made and built. Belts aren't exemplary instances of quality belt manufacture but eh, I got 10. It seems to be up to putting tiny radii on HSS lathe tools; it's me that needs to get better:oops::grin:. Also it might be handy as a model to use if/when I make my own 1x42 sander.:big grin:

Well damn, that's fun. Now I want to make one, see what you did?!?

Texas, any country outside of Texas.... :laughing:

View attachment 498055
It's so teensy and cute! :grin:. £25 off eBay. A bit of a punt but it's surprisingly (relative to price ;)) well made and built. Belts aren't exemplary instances of quality belt manufacture but eh, I got 10. It seems to be up to putting tiny radii on HSS lathe tools; it's me that needs to get better:oops::grin:. Also it might be handy as a model to use if/when I make my own 1x42 sander.:big grin:

Got me a similar one from Amazon a while back:

I have a ScotchBrite (-ish) belt on it for deburring small parts that I don’t feel comfortable using my 8” wheel on.

Got me a similar one from Amazon a while back:

I have a ScotchBrite (-ish) belt on it for deburring small parts that I don’t feel comfortable using my 8” wheel on.
Oh, I didn't know you could get 'scotchbrite' type belts. I'll have to check that out, cheers. :encourage:

Oh, I didn't know you could get 'scotchbrite' type belts. I'll have to check that out, cheers. :encourage:
Would you two mind stopping please? I have enough lack of space as it is already, I do not need more ideas on how to further deplete the little space I have remaining ;) :laughing:

Seriously though, Some scraps of material, some home turned pulleys, a few nuts/bolts/washers, an old laptop PSU (or even an R/C battery pack if you want it mobile), an on/off switch, an R/C can-motor (a ten triple might be nice!!!) and a basic mini sander could be built relatively cheaply. Throw in a mechanical R/C speed control and things could be rather fun!

Back