What Did You Buy Today?

How much is something like that? Let us know the quality of the end result.

@WobblyHand

Comes in at £34GBP ($43.12USD Approx) with carriage. 1 litre kit, so 1 litre of eaach componant.

Will be testing it once it arrives on some scrap steel and ally. Will post the results of the tests once I have done them.

What did I buy today will be project of the day soon.
Picked up this 6” FPU Bison vise today. The fella that owned the shop passed over 25 years ago. His son said he rarely used it and the son never used it. Jaws show near no activity as far as I can tell. Size and weight puts it similar to a Kurt 6” at around 85 pounds. With it’s adjustable gibs I think it will be a great fabrication vise. IMG_1640.jpeg

man that looks in great shape. Does it have the internal spindle too?
Yes,
It is in excellent shape.
And, it has, what I think, is the internal spindle.
I need to take time a go through it when I have more time.

Purchased a new 6" VERTEX HV-6 rotary table (4-Slot) recently.

I need to disassemble it and clean out any grit, but I like the fitment so far. I am disappointed in some staining/discoloration where the degree measurements are. The last photo shows how the 4 in 240 is covered up along with some degree markings. I tried alcohol, degreaser, hairdryer, elbow grease and no joy, it is stuck on there. That would be my main complaint. If anyone has any ideas on how to remove the staining it would be appreciated. I reached out to the seller and Vertex's subsidiary in the UK to see if they could help.

IMG_8283 - Copy.jpeg

IMG_8284 - Copy.jpeg

IMG_8286 - Copy.jpeg
IMG_8289 - Copy.jpeg

I need to disassemble it and clean out any grit, but I like the fitment so far. I am disappointed in some staining/discoloration where the degree measurements are. The last photo shows how the 4 in 240 is covered up along with some degree markings. I tried alcohol, degreaser, hairdryer, elbow grease and no joy, it is stuck on there. That would be my main complaint. If anyone has any ideas on how to remove the staining it would be appreciated. I reached out to the seller and Vertex's subsidiary in the UK to see if they could help.

View attachment 499292

You could cautiously try white Scotch-Brite. For solvents, Mineral Spirits and Acetone (with a Q-Tip, not dripping wet).

View attachment 499289

View attachment 499290

View attachment 499291
View attachment 499292
I would not worry about the staining .. But like Chaz said, white or gray scotch brite and mineral spirits.. avoid acetone on the crinkle finish.

I’ve used mine a couple of times when holding unusual objects.
I keep thinking of buying solutions like this. For now I just keep some veg tanned tooling leather and some copper wire handy. Basically the scraps are free, so good enough for who it's for! lol.

Nice. I've had that same one for years, bought it in 1999. Probably use it every 5 years! :)

I'd like to fit a stepper drive to make a digital rotary table out of it, someday... :)

Back