Thread Plug Gages - No-go goes and go does not

Are the gages and the tapped holes being measured the same class?

O! Different member! Sorry.

Funny that you hav a picture uv an incorrect gaje, Mini.

RE: the orijinal post.

There are 2 more wayz I can think uv besidez the handle being backward.

1. The thred pitch iz rong. Not likely, kuz it woudnt measure correct and woud be pretty eazy to see if it wuz still a standard thred, just the rong wun. 1/2-20 insted uv 1/2-13 for example.

2. Its left hand. It woudnt be visually obvious to many peepl and woud measure correct.

Have more info. Not much but something

They were “tapping” them on a lathe, they could never get a good estimate on how many parts per tap they would get… This led to them thinking that the material was messed up an not consistent even though it was from the same batch.

They switched to a machining center and started getting good parts but could never depend on all of them being good and still had the inconsistency of taps going south.

They are now switching to a thread mill to see what they can get with that.

This was all passed on to me in about 30 seconds so not lot of details. I just started working here 6 wks ago as a Manufacturing Engineer (old school guy and old school thinker). There are only 2 of us and they haven’t quite turned me loose yet. Still doing busy work to learn company systems and the company way. This part sucks LOL.

What size taps/threads ? Are you hard tapping in the machining center ? Are they using a tapping head in the lathe ? Are they using the correct type of tap ? Too many questions with not enough given info .

What size taps/threads ? Are you hard tapping in the machining center ? Are they using a tapping head in the lathe ? Are they using the correct type of tap ? Too many questions with not enough given info .
Can't answer any of those. I am going to get more involved next week

Just remember the above chart . If you didn't touch it , you're safe ! :grin:
Especially if you’re in manufacturing engineering.

I go to great lengths to document where things actually are before I start on any project.

I just started in the dept two years ago but coming from IT I’m very familiar with you touch it you own it.

John

Generally in situations like this, you should write down what everyone has told you. See if there's any consensus. Then set that aside and measure things and inspect how things are done. Talk and hearsay is great but measurements (actual data) is reality. It's a puzzle for you. Sometimes even a quick look at what people are doing, or their machines, or even setup, gives a clue or two. It's a trial by fire to troubleshoot, but it's quite rewarding to get to the answer quickly. Take all the information in, but don't necessarily buy into everyone's answers. It's usually a simple thing but it's obscured by the situation or someone's ego. Good luck!

Back