So I got this cheap live center on eBay, and have some questions

You saying that, I just had my multi-tip unit apart... It has Three different types of bearing. Deep groove rubber sealed, open race and needle roller.

Surprised me to see so many bearings!

As regards the centre, if it is INAD or SNAD, return it. if it is defective, return it. If the seller refuses? open a case pshing for a return. If you do SEND IT TRACKED SIGNED FOR!
To be 100% honest, I do get a bit upset when people get draconian with the Chinese sellers. They sell at very low prices (and low margins), it's rare for a package to get lost, and when it does, they refund you, doubling their cost. The products may lack the refinement of higher end stuff, but they still contain a lot of value in the materials alone (see the post above). And some people still insist in treating them like some Nigerian scammer that takes your money and disappears.

Are we being really fair here? Why not put our money where our mouth is and pay the full price of the really high end stuff if that's what we're expecting?

Bottom line, if something is advertised as being in a specific condition, then that it what is expected, no ifs, buts, or ands about it. Accepting anything less is, frankly, ridiculous and allowing continuance of the shady practice of sub-par goods being sent out rather than what is listed/shown in the listing images/photographs.

I have had a couple of items from india, great stuff, well made, though a few sharp corners that needed knocking back. I expected that based on the photographs in the item listing and frankly, the overall quality was better than expected based on the images.

I also acquire items from CN regularly. Never an issue, quality is always either as listed or better and never had an issue with a seller either.

So to answer your question "are we really being fair here"? Yes, we are being fair in expecting exactly what was listed and represented for sale irrespective of the price point.

Back