So I got this cheap live center on eBay, and have some questions

I've bought 3 really nice older live centers on ebay in the last couple of years. 2 were made in Japan and one in eastern europe. none were particularly expensive. all are very smooth turning. why not send it back for being rough turning? ebay is very good about returns.
Probably my best bet.

I was typing a reply and saw the message was deleted. Think you had some valid points. Maybe the "accuracy" spec was shady, maybe not. What I received is not as pictured. The bearings really are poor, and the part has some seriously sharp edges, that I'd have to knock down before using. In essence, it's not quite fit for purpose.

As regards the centre, if it is INAD or SNAD, return it. if it is defective, return it. If the seller refuses? open a case pshing for a return. If you do SEND IT TRACKED SIGNED FOR!

As I noted in my original message, I would look at a multi-tip live centre kit. At least with those, you can make a specific centre for your needs to suit the main unit.

This is the one I have, amongst other live centres. If I need/want to I can make a new tip to my own design / needs and use it with the main unit. It also helps that the bearings can be replaced relatively easily too.

live centre.png

Last edited:
Bit of a "doh" moment. was editing, hit save without looking.

As regards the centre, if it is INAD or SNAD, return it. if it is defective, return it. If the seller refuses? open a case pshing for a return. If you do SEND IT TRACKED SIGNED FOR!

As I noted in my original message, I would look at a multi-tip live centre kit. At least with those, you can make a specific centre for your needs to suit the main unit.

This is the one I have, amongst other live centres. If I need/want to I can make a new tip to my own design / needs and use it with the main unit. It also helps that the bearings can be replaced relatively easily too.

View attachment 503837
Thanks for restoring your post. Was trying to remember the nomenclature for the kit. I'm going to check the taper tomorrow, and decide on the bearings. The bearings don't feel right, when it comes down to it.

Thanks for restoring your post. Was trying to remember the nomenclature for the kit. I'm going to check the taper tomorrow, and decide on the bearings. The bearings don't feel right, when it comes down to it.

Like most bearings, they should have a number embossed on the protective shield id-Est 6205 2RS / 6205 ZZ

2RS = 2 rubber seals, ZZ = metal shield.

I am debating whether to replace the deep groove bearing in my multi-tip with an Angular contact bearing or not :thinking:

Why not take it apart, clean it and relubricate it (it may be tricky to get apart, have to make some tooling etc) - then you’ll know how it works and know what you have. Was it a lot of money? Treat it as an educational opportunity.

I got a Rotor live center (Swiss made), MT5 - it was probably 30 years old, I don’t think it was ever used. It did not turn very smoothly, in spite of being a pretty high class piece of kit. It took some figuring on how to get it apart (when you get into the details there are a lot of different designs for rotating centers) - cleaned it, relubed, it turns very nice now (and I’m a little wiser for knowing how it works).

Why not take it apart, clean it and relubricate it (it may be tricky to get apart, have to make some tooling etc) - then you’ll know how it works and know what you have. Was it a lot of money? Treat it as an educational opportunity.

I got a Rotor live center (Swiss made), MT5 - it was probably 30 years old, I don’t think it was ever used. It did not turn very smoothly, in spite of being a pretty high class piece of kit. It took some figuring on how to get it apart (when you get into the details there are a lot of different designs for rotating centers) - cleaned it, relubed, it turns very nice now (and I’m a little wiser for knowing how it works).

You saying that, I just had my multi-tip unit apart... It has Three different types of bearing. Deep groove rubber sealed, open race and needle roller.

Surprised me to see so many bearings!

The bearings are setup with the 6201RZ deep groove bearings stacked on top of each other, which are stacked on top of an open race with 3/16" loose ball-bearings, then on the tail of the shaft, a needle roller bearing!

The open race s is basically, in layman terms, a pair of thick washers with round grooves/tracks in them sandwiching the loose ball bearings between them. Very smooth in operation too by all accounts...

Last edited:
Back