POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Rollers if you can incorporate them Fin . As far as a grease groove , I usually use a radius parting tool and go with 1/16" deep or so . How the Cubs coming along ? :)

The tapper came with, IIRC, 6 different capacity collets to drive up to 5/16" taps. The 5/16" collet is very thin in important places and is commonly missing on the used market or broken. Again, IIRC, the tool has a pin across the bottom of the collet chuck and the collets have a slot in the bottom. The knurled nut has an internal taper to squeeze the collet and retain the tap. I'm sorry for continuing to use, IIRC, the chuck shaft on the screwdriver does pull out further than the tapper, but I'm really uncertain about that.

I've never used the screwdriver type tool, so I don't really know how it's supposed to operate. It doesn't make sense to me that the front shaft has to be pulled out to reverse rotation, because when driving a screw, you have to apply pressure whether driving it in or out.

Pulling out the shaft is what was meant when I wrote "quill up" regarding the tapper operation description in reply #7593.

I have more than one of each type tool but they are in WA, and I'm in CA right now, so no pictures from me today.

I think I bought the first screwdriver by mistake (thinking it was a tapper) and decided it would not be a great tapper for reasons that I can't precisely remember right now, except to say that there are more differences between the two tools than tap holder collet chuck vs screwdriver bit holder.
Yep, I looked at my old thread and saw some responses about it. I forgot that they were made for tapping.

Rollers if you can incorporate them Fin . As far as a grease groove , I usually use a radius parting tool and go with 1/16" deep or so . How the Cubs coming along ? :)
Getting ready for the big plow day coming up in 3 weeks near Peoria.
Got new tubes in the ags for the 2086 so I can put fluid in them.
These shafts I'm making are part of the welded rock shaft ass'y for the 383 Cat 0 3 points we are building.

Attachments

• DSCN8295.JPG
    DSCN8295.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 11
Shop layout work. The progress is very slow, but I want to get it right the first time. There are so many different possible ways to arrange the tools :guilty:

IMG_7531.jpeg

I wouldn’t put too much time into “getting it right the first time”. As your shop grows it will undoubtedly be rearranged many times. I started with 2 machines many years ago and am currently at 24. There are still a couple on the”would like to have list” but space is getting short. I can’t count the times the shop has been rearranged.

Each machine requires new tools and tooling. It’s a never ending job

Loading up today . 73 degrees and 100 % humidity , sweatin my arse off . :cussing:Heading north up to the Adirondacks in the morning to cut some grass , cut some wood , shoot some guns and do some leaf peeping . Old Forge , Ausable Chasm , maybe Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are on the list as possibles . Who knows , we might meet up with Ed , drink beer and stay put in the camp .:dunno::drink:

I wouldn’t put too much time into “getting it right the first time”. As your shop grows it will undoubtedly be rearranged many times. I started with 2 machines many years ago and am currently at 24. There are still a couple on the”would like to have list” but space is getting short. I can’t count the times the shop has been rearranged.

Each machine requires new tools and tooling. It’s a never ending job
Spot on. I've been going only just over a year, but I've just (mostly) finished my second re-organisation. I do have to be careful about what I put where, as I've only got a 5M by 4M space.

Pictures are coming soon, just as soon as my little 7x is back together again.

Back