POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

My 2002 bugeye WRX wagon was a hoot to drive. Unfortunately, salt rotted it out. It was quite enjoyable while it lasted, the suspension had a nice long travel to it. Manual transmission. The 2002 was not a race car, but it still was buckets of fun.

well it's the closest thing to buying a race car off the shelf in the affordable range.
I had a coworker that owned one. He said it was a hoot.
I worked with a guy that had one 20 years ago: he loved it until it skidded on an icy patch and was totaled after hitting a concrete wall (and he knew how to drive high performance vehicles - things happen sometimes).

The WRX is an awesome car. My dream car, actually. AWD, lots of power, manual transmission. It even has the manual brake lever and spare wheel and it doesn't have nonsense stuff like start-stop (by virtue of being a Japanese design and nor European, where it's mandated by law).

I ain't no racer. Nor I aspire to be one. But I rather have buckets of extra power, than push the pedal and wait...

Very decently priced, for what it is (but still, too expensive for a daily car...).

Does anyone here get Machinist’s Workshop magazine? I got a new one a couple of days ago & opened it tonight for a quick skim (I just got home from work).
Has some nice mods for the cheap spin indexers (I actually have the one they show), the other thing that caught my eye was the knurling tool build! There was something else, but I just stepped out on myself & all of you…sorry, I’m tired.

Does anyone here get Machinist’s Workshop magazine? I got a new one a couple of days ago & opened it tonight for a quick skim (I just got home from work).
Has some nice mods for the cheap spin indexers (I actually have the one they show), the other thing that caught my eye was the knurling tool build! There was something else, but I just stepped out on myself & all of you…sorry, I’m tired.

Yes, some very good articles this issue (I’m still not sold on reversing the spindle on the Spindex, but maybe). The other build you may be thinking of is the Tool Post Grinder using a die grinder.

Yes, some very good articles this issue (I’m still not sold on reversing the spindle on the Spindex, but maybe). The other build you may be thinking of is the Tool Post Grinder using a die grinder.
Ha! I didn’t read it at all. I just took a quick skim through it to see what it had to offer me for later. I think I agree with you, I don’t really want to reverse the spindle on my spindexer either.
I do want to build that knurling tool though! Seems like a good little project for in 9 years (kidding) when I finish the other stuff I’ve got going on.

Ha! I didn’t read it at all. I just took a quick skim through it to see what it had to offer me for later. I think I agree with you, I don’t really want to reverse the spindle on my spindexer either.
I do want to build that knurling tool though! Seems like a good little project for in 9 years (kidding) when I finish the other stuff I’ve got going on.

I haven’t given it a detailed read, but while I understand what he did the article is lacking a lot of details that I would have included, particularly with regard to location of the clamping screws he added. I’m also not sure I would rely on flexing an iron casting to clamp a spindle: needs more study.

I am going to look into the thrust bearings; when I modified mine I used steel shim & Teflon washers.

Back