POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

@coolidge
You're going to have to be extra careful with that read head on the chuck side of the cross slide.
Yep. Don't crash it! I'm sure I would trash that read head with my abilities. Great looking install though. Could you put a dial indicator on the cross slide and give us an idea of the accuracy of that brand? I know this is PMs rebranded stuff.

so Chaz, turn the saw upside down from it's current position and use a magnet to keep it from falling back over. (protect the teeth if necessary with a plastic back clip from a report folder)
use hammer holder to hold your torque wrenches (2 stacked on one)
use this type of screwdriver holder to easily get the screwdrivers out. so you don't have to lift them high, since you have a frame all the way around.
that will give you a lot more space and hold them all. I even use the slots between the screwdriver holder to hold larger items.. you don't have to use the screwdriver slot, the other is just as valuable.

Attachments

• screwdriver_holder.png
    screwdriver_holder.png
    79 KB · Views: 5
Yep. Don't crash it! I'm sure I would trash that read head with my abilities. Great looking install though. Could you put a dial indicator on the cross slide and give us an idea of the accuracy of that brand? I know this is PMs rebranded stuff.
Measurements show I will crash the tool holder into the chuck before I hit the scale. Still, I learned first part discipline running a Mori lathe the size of an SUV. In all the decades I have not crashed a machine.

That said, this G0709 has a stop dead safety switch on the foot brake. Trip that limit switch and BAM everything comes to a stop. Not even sure whey they bothered to put brake pads on it. That circuit is NC (normally closed) in operation. Interrupt the circuit by tripping the limit switch activates the brake. I could easily splice a 2nd movable limit switch into this circuit up on the ways like a depth stop. Call it a fail safe. I'd set that limit switch short of crashing into the chuck for a given job. Let's say I passed out or got distracted by someone talking to me or something. Having a failsafe switch is not a bad idea.

Could you put a dial indicator on the cross slide and give us an idea of the accuracy of that brand? I know this is PMs rebranded stuff.
I could but it's not really necessary. The tolerance for these scales and read heads to be out of whack is quite large and they still work perfectly. The read head can be crooked on X, Y, and Z up to a certain amount. The gap between the read head and scale is recommended to be set at .020 that's huge especially for a cross slide that only travels 7 inches. If I get a chance later this evening, I'll throw an indictor on it.

If you've become motivated to find the model number due to my question triggering a wish to know then go ahead, but honestly don't make any special effort to do so for me.

Too late! However, I couldn’t find any numbers.

If it helps your (future) construction, the drawer is hung from a pair of runners at the top of the box (there’s also a pair of runners at the bottom of the box, but they are used to hang the drawer on the other side of the main cabinet).

I could but it's not really necessary. The tolerance for these scales and read heads to be out of whack is quite large and they still work perfectly. The read head can be crooked on X, Y, and Z up to a certain amount. The gap between the read head and scale is recommended to be set at .020 that's huge especially for a cross slide that only travels 7 inches. If I get a chance later this evening, I'll throw an indictor on it.
Nothing to do with your install or geometry. I'm sure that is fine.
I am not sure where your magnetic tape was made? There are well known issues with many Chinese scales that have been discussed in other threads. I found significant error with some scales (Ditron) and had to replace my cross slide scale. Hence my curiosity.

Nothing to do with your install or geometry. I'm sure that is fine.
I am not sure where your magnetic tape was made? There are well known issues with many Chinese scales that have been discussed in other threads. I found significant error with some scales (Ditron) and had to replace my cross slide scale. Hence my curiosity.
Ah, this is the 5th DRO I have owned from this same manufacturer all have had excellent accuracy. I would know I'm Mr. Nitpicky.

Back