POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Good call on moving the large tires to the center. The Versacarts roll easier that way with the weight balanced over them since the Kennedy casters don’t have bearing in them.

I never had any issues moving my VersaCart, but it was never heavily loaded. Also, shortly after I received my cart (back in 83) I added a Craftsman side-mounted vertical drawer (painted to closely match) which helps balance the load:

IMG_8098_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

I’ll get a photo with the drawer open tomorrow when the Equinox is out of the garage.

EDIT - Photos of Craftsman Vertical Drawer:
20240912Craftsman VersaCart Drawer Lt.jpeg
20240912 Craftsman VersaCart Drawer Rt.jpeg
Not weed-filled, but a handy place for screwdrivers and really long stuff.

Last edited:
I never had any issues moving my VersaCart, but it was never heavily loaded. Also, shortly after I received my cart (back in 83) I added a Craftsman side-mounted vertical drawer (painted to closely match) which helps balance the load:

View attachment 502455

I’ll get a photo with the drawer open tomorrow when the Equinox is out of the garage.

EDIT - Photos of Craftsman Vertical Drawer:
View attachment 502529
View attachment 502530
Not weed-filled, but a handy place for screwdrivers and really long stuff.
That vertical drawer setup is a handy thing that I wasn't aware existed.

I have need of storage in a couple of places in my workshop to store longer tools and a 'vertical drawer' similar to yours would have the added benefit of taking up less space.

Obviously, being in the UK, that specific product wouldn't be easily, if at all, findable for me. Would 'vertical drawer' be the right search term or do you think there's a better term to use?

EDIT: Eh, the only thing I can find comes from some 'Gucci' tool storage company, where a single 950x600 drawer unit costs £1200. Think I'll be making my own. For someone who hates woodwork, I'm finding a lot of jobs that require it. :rolleyes::big grin:

Last edited:
Chazz, looks like you can do a better job in those verticals. Just saying, for a guy that's organized, those are not your best effort. I see a better way, hoping you do too.

Chazz, looks like you can do a better job in those verticals. Just saying, for a guy that's organized, those are not your best effort. I see a better way, hoping you do too.

Yes, I seldom open the drawer and wasn’t pleased with what I saw, but figured warts & all. I’ll add this to my list for when I get finished organizing the Shop and can move on to the garage :) .

However, suggestions are always welcome.

That vertical drawer setup is a handy thing that I wasn't aware existed.

I have need of storage in a couple of places in my workshop to store longer tools and a 'vertical drawer' similar to yours would have the added benefit of taking up less space.

Obviously, being in the UK, that specific product wouldn't be easily, if at all, findable for me. Would 'vertical drawer' be the right search term or do you think there's a better term to use?

EDIT: Eh, the only thing I can find comes from some 'Gucci' tool storage company, where a single 950x600 drawer unit costs £1200. Think I'll be making my own. For someone who hates woodwork, I'm finding a lot of jobs that require it. :rolleyes::big grin:

I can’t remember what I paid (in 1983), but I know I paid less than $600 for the VersaCart, base cabinet, 2-drawer topper & tool chest (plus a larger base, topper & chest - I got everything on sale plus the discount that the supply house was giving Hershey’s mechanics to get the new business) and do remember that Sears wanted more than 10% of that. However, since the local Sears in the small town I was living in at that time was just a storefront that received shipments from the warehouse and they tried three times to get one in that wasn’t dented, they offered a significant discount if I’d take it as-is; since the dent was cosmetic (snd on the back) I got a bargain.

I haven’t seen anything similar in the last 25 years, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there.

When the car is out of the way again I’ll see if I can find a model number.

I can’t remember what I paid (in 1983), but I know I paid less than $600 for the VersaCart, base cabinet, 2-drawer topper & tool chest (plus a larger base, topper & chest - I got everything on sale plus the discount that the supply house was giving Hershey’s mechanics to get the new business) and do remember that Sears wanted more than 10% of that. However, since the local Sears in the small town I was living in at that time was just a storefront that received shipments from the warehouse and they tried three times to get one in that wasn’t dented, they offered a significant discount if I’d take it as-is; since the dent was cosmetic (snd on the back) I got a bargain.

I haven’t seen anything similar in the last 25 years, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there.

When the car is out of the way again I’ll see if I can find a model number.
If you've become motivated to find the model number due to my question triggering a wish to know then go ahead, but honestly don't make any special effort to do so for me. I doubt very much if those were ever for sale in the UK and as I said, the only equivalents here in the UK I can find are apparently hand-crafted out of platinum; or at least that's the only reason I can imagine for their ridiculous cost! :grin:

I think I'll make my own. Boxes made out of plywood aren't hard to make and a 4 heavy duty drawer runners should do the job. A frame made from some aluminium extrusion I have (a solar panel installation business near my office was chucking out a load of pieces and I offered to save them the trip to the recycling centre) and a sheet of pegboard will do for the tool hanging.

I might even do it properly and CAD it up first, rather than make it up as I go along. If I do, I'll stick it up here.

Nobody should hold their breath, mind you. Now I'm just finishing up with my 'workshop reconfigure V2.0', I have a backlog of actual machining tasks (stuff that I'm actually looking forward to) to do! :grin:

Back