POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Yesterday was down in the DC area looking at houses for the daughter . I thought machining was a rabbit hole until I saw what townhouses/condos are selling for . momoney
I lived in Fairfax County just across I95/I195 from Alexandria. Bought in '11 for 367k. Sold 100k OVER asking price in '22 for 700k. Freaking insane. Didn't keep enough home improvement receipts. Looks like I will owe ~ 5k in taxes. Not bad taking the metro in, I did it working for FEMA for 3 years from Huntington. 2 short stops away from lower key Alexandria.

Freaking insane.
Inflation! The government uses the Consumer price index, but I've always suspected the math wasn't too accurate.
Using you house and the government calculator it should have sold for $477K. Of course you were in a high $ area so that counts for something.

Made a mess today.
I am a good painter if I do say so myself, I can spray a nice finish. Usually...
Not today. Been refinishing a cabinet that I got maybe 2 years ago. 11 drawers... finishing it in my son's preferred colors so he can take it when I am no longer able to play with my toys.
So for the last week or so, I stripped the cabinet by sanding to bare metal, primed it in rustoleum rusty metal, then reprimed over that in clean metal (white) so I could get a nicer base for the blue.. redid the inside of all the drawers rustoleum smoke gray.. Everything has been good up until today. All primer coats sanded to a baby's smooth ass .

Today I started on the Sherwin Williams enamel. I bought it in 4/21 and used it on a map cabinet I gave my son for tools. It came out awesome.
Well, I could not figure out why the paint wasn't laying down. It was somewhat orange peeled. Somewhat gritty. I thought it was me. I kept doing things that should resolve the issue, but weren't. I went wetter, more flow, less air... more air, finer spray.. All were the same result. Added more mineral spirits... same.

I just kept going.. pot runs out, and then I noticed the pot. I hadn't really looked carefully ..The same grit it's spraying is on the walls of the pot.WTF.
this paint is not that old. Well, now I have an answer. It may not have been me. It may have been the paint. Straining which I always do was not taking it out. Chalk it up to if you instinct tells you something is wrong, don't always blame yourself.. sometimes it's the product.

I'll have to sand it out, and use it as a base coat, and get more of the color.
todays been a lot better. I bought the paint again. I asked the counter guy and manager about my problems with old paint.. bought April 2021, they said their oil base is only good for 3 years in the can. So no answer really.
Well picked it up Friday, and shot the cabinets today. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's more like it. It laid down much better, no grit, no orange peel. My wife came home and saw and noticed the difference.. Yea, much better.

Inflation! The government uses the Consumer price index, but I've always suspected the math wasn't too accurate.
Using you house and the government calculator it should have sold for $477K. Of course you were in a high $ area so that counts for something.
Location, location, location. Guy who bought it rides his bike the 2 miles to Alexandria. House is also 1.5 miles from Huntington, the last stop in VA for the Metro rail. Really sad part to me is the house is across the street from a park and a young family will probably never live there again.

Location, location, location. Guy who bought it rides his bike the 2 miles to Alexandria. House is also 1.5 miles from Huntington, the last stop in VA for the Metro rail. Really sad part to me is the house is across the street from a park and a young family will probably never live there again.
That's the sad part, indeed. Young families are being upscaled out of the market by a relative few.

That's the sad part, indeed. Young families are being upscaled out of the market by a relative few.
that happened in the 80s here on the east coast , tri state area.
It got ugly real fast. I didn't think I would ever buy a house.
Even property without improvements were skied out. I looked at quite a few, and was having problems that way. And many fixer uppers were starting to launch to the moon, that when doing the costs (even of me doing all the work), I was having problems justifying it. It didn't make sense dollar wise short term.

Where I grew up, the homes went for 15-17K in the mid 50's. It was a new development. It was solidly middle class. Now there are knockdowns up and down the street, and really huge 3-5M homes going up. 6000 to 9000 square feet. No longer the middle class, at least that I can relate to. Houses taking up most of the lot, unlike the starter homes. We played in the woods, on rock walls and things. Now people have cut down the woods and put in tennis courts and pools, or simply made their huge homes even bigger. I was priced out of the area, oh in the 80's, when I was starting out working. So I moved out of state to somewhere less expensive. Gentrification on steroids.

Sorry: I should get back on topic. So what did you make in your shop today?

Not really machine work, but work towards machining.
Here are a couple of tools I forged to use with the foundry furnace. On top is a test casting of aluminum that I turned a little bit just to see how it looked inside.
I think I need more practice and better source material...

Attachments

• IMG_20240909_134758319 1.jpg
    IMG_20240909_134758319 1.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 33
Back