POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I banged my head on the quill feed on this RF-45 type mill last week and decided to fix it. The handle doesn't revolve and it's fairly sharp, probably for aerodynamic reasons. I was going to replace the handle but stumbled on a 4" handwheel with folding revolving handle that's being produced in a factory in China. It's 10 $ for what appears to be a die cast aluminum wheel.

Attachments

• handwheel_quill.JPEG
    handwheel_quill.JPEG
    435.9 KB · Views: 29
  • handwheel_quill2.JPEG
    handwheel_quill2.JPEG
    338.3 KB · Views: 29
  • handwheel_quill3.JPEG
    handwheel_quill3.JPEG
    323.2 KB · Views: 29
Started work on a guard for the surface grinder. It had one that could only guard a 2” wheel for some reason so I cut off the clamp. Cut out two half circles out of 3/16” hot rolled and used some 1/8” plate that went through the ring roller. Welded it all together and it fits. Tomorrow I will add the hole and pipe for the vacuum. View attachment 502188View attachment 502189I had to stop early today to go check out a grist mill. Everything is intact and just left sitting. I have to dig out underneath the wheel and get water to it. Should be a really fun project.
View attachment 502190
Babbit bearing for the wheel, approx 6” shaft and a 16’ wheel.View attachment 502191
Spokes are about 3/4” thick barView attachment 502192
This is head level standing in the bottom of the wheel. It has not been used since sometime before 1968. Newest date found was a newspaper from 1947. This place is huge.View attachment 502193
First floorView attachment 502194
French marble stone, shipped over in pieces then glued together in the states. Too much information to list.
Please start a thread about restoration of the grist mill! That looks like a neat project!

Put the sauna wood away for winter. The wood rack was always a bit disorganized. Trying to mix small, large, and kindling within the pile never seems to work. Finally gave in and put a couple dividers in. We don't actually use a lot of wood heating the sauna, so this is nearly a years worth here.
IMG_20240907_165258110.jpg

Split about 1/2 cord of firewood for the woodstove . Didn't take long for my body to wear out :eek: It's a hell of alot more fun burning it than splitting it . :grin:

I was going to replace the handle but stumbled on a 4" handwheel with folding revolving handle that's being produced in a factory in China. It's 10 $ for what appears to be a die cast aluminum wheel.
Damn , I have about 10 of these in the basement . :grin:

Split about 1/2 cord of firewood for the woodstove . Didn't take long for my body to wear out :eek: It's a hell of alot more fun burning it than splitting it . :grin:

Damn , I have about 10 of these in the basement . :grin:
I used your #1 Wohlhaupter head to adjust the bore from 12 mm to 14.02 mm. It's such a nice tool that I look forward to boring tasks.

I used your #1 Wohlhaupter head to adjust the bore from 12 mm to 14.02 mm. It's such a nice tool that I look forward to boring tasks.
That was one of my tools that I thought I'd never sell . Glad it's getting used by someone who appreciates it as much as I did . :encourage:

I started cutting down all the steel bar that I scored into manageable lengths. I figured it was easier to bring the saw outside than to bring all the material inside. Bars are 8-12 feet long.
cut.jpg
cut2.jpg

Back