POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Found some buffing compound , no longer made . Maybe take the peeling dead skin off my body ! :grin:

Appears a stamped washer (of the 4, go figure how that happened) that came with my HF buffer disappeared, so I made up a couple out of some aluminum round stock, and a centering plug from a aluminum slug in a piece of PVC. Should be a bit better than the stamped center that comes with the cloth wheels. Now to make some for the wire wheel.

Attachments

• buffer washers.jpg
    buffer washers.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 14
It feels quite planted now. What lathe do you have?
I have the PM1236, I had a twist in my bed when I first got the lathe and placed 120 pounds of lead it the back of the cabinet and adjusted the leveling feet 4 times over a period of 2 months and bed slowly relaxed and the twist was taken out, these feet made the operation much easier.

Lathe.jpg

My car came with “Summer tires” as stock.
So when you need to buy a good set of “Ultra High Performance All Seasons” you stick new wheels (Enkei TS-10) inside of them (at least that’s how I roll). So I swapped wheels, cloned the OEM TPMS sensors, went for a drive to get my psi readings back on the dash. Stuck one of the stock wheels/tires in the trunk as a full size spare (they don’t come with a spare now, it’s a big bottle of tire sealer & a small compressor).
43819F54-A3BB-4524-8112-1F4674FE0811.jpeg

Started work on a guard for the surface grinder. It had one that could only guard a 2” wheel for some reason so I cut off the clamp. Cut out two half circles out of 3/16” hot rolled and used some 1/8” plate that went through the ring roller. Welded it all together and it fits. Tomorrow I will add the hole and pipe for the vacuum. IMG_7213.jpegIMG_7214.jpegI had to stop early today to go check out a grist mill. Everything is intact and just left sitting. I have to dig out underneath the wheel and get water to it. Should be a really fun project.
IMG_7224.jpeg
Babbit bearing for the wheel, approx 6” shaft and a 16’ wheel.IMG_7223.jpeg
Spokes are about 3/4” thick barIMG_7232.jpeg
This is head level standing in the bottom of the wheel. It has not been used since sometime before 1968. Newest date found was a newspaper from 1947. This place is huge.IMG_7233.jpeg
First floorIMG_7236.jpeg
French marble stone, shipped over in pieces then glued together in the states. Too much information to list.

Last edited:
Back