POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

@extropic

With all due respect, how is a live centre of any use in a mill spindle? it is not like the tip would do anything.

As for the drill chuck arbor, I have no intentions of using it with anything but the lathe t/stock. I don't give two hoots as to what the thread is for, I just need the thing to eject from the T/stock without using a mallet to knock it out.
I don't have a dog in that fight. If you chose to obtain a live center with a Morse taper shank (including drawbar threads), so be it. My comment was about how I would have adapted it for non-drawbar use. You may not appreciate my comments, but on the other hand, I expect some readers may find them useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a dog in that fight. If you chose to obtain a live center with a Morse taper shank (including drawbar threads), so be it. My comment was about how I would have adapted it for non-drawbar use. You may not appreciate my comments, but on the other hand, I expect some readers may find them useful. It's not all about you.

Don't mistake my comments for not understanding what you said prior, I get it, I do.

However, I did not know the live centre had a drawbar thread, otherwise I would not have purchased it, yet the question stands, How is a live centre any good in a mill spindle?

The MT2 drill chuck specific arbor with a drawbar thread? Not so much an issue as if I ever obtain/acquire a machine with an MT2 spindle, I will remove the bung to use the chuck with a drawbar as intended. It is not like the bungs are permanent.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my draw bar style Morse stuff (like collets for spotting drills ) I put a SHCS in there for ejection. Much cheaper than calling up Q for a reload on the ejection seat

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Finished an OEM tee nut that's not really a tee. Needed to grind either a fly cutter tool, or a shear tool for the shaper. The desire to try grinding the shear tool and use my shaper won out. No idea why the roughing tool left that lip, but it's curiosity, not a crisis. And now the 10EE has a tool post.

1000006669.jpg1000006672.jpg

@extropic

With all due respect, how is a live centre of any use in a mill spindle? it is not like the tip would do anything.
While none of my live centers are tapped for drawbars, I did purchase one specifically for use in my mill:

20240810 MT2 Bullnose n R8 Adapter post.jpg
MT2 2-1/2" Bullnose Live Center & R8-MT2 Sleeve (with a knock-out bar). While the center will fit my Mini-Lathe should I ever need it, I purchased it to pick up centers of large diameters holes: in some cases (like hand wheels with keyways) it's not convenient to use edge finders, DTI's or my Coaxial Indicator and the accuracy of using a 60° cone is sufficient; in one case the hole diameter was either larger or shallower than my 1-3/8" cone would work for (seen in the center of the photo in this post).

While none of my live centers are tapped for drawbars, I did purchase one specifically for use in my mill:

View attachment 499495
MT2 2-1/2" Bullnose Live Center & R8-MT2 Sleeve (with a knock-out bar). While the center will fit my Mini-Lathe should I ever need it, I purchased it to pick up centers of large diameters holes: in some cases (like hand wheels with keyways) it's not convenient to use edge finders, DTI's or my Coaxial Indicator and the accuracy of using a 60° cone is sufficient; in one case the hole diameter was either larger or shallower than my 1-3/8" cone would work for (seen in the center of the photo in this post).
Oh well that's something I hadn't thought of doing with a centre. :eagerness:

I have used a live centre in my drill press, come to think of it.

I needed to do take off a teensy bit off my lathe's spindle (the bearing journals) but obviously my lathe was in bits.

I cut off an old morse taper 2 drill just above the flutes, put the taper in a 2-3 sleeve, put the sleeve in the spindles taper and the cut off drill's shank in the DP's Jacobs chuck.

Then I clamped the live center's shank in my cross-vice, lined it up, and raised the table until the centre's cone supported the threaded tail of the spindle.

I was just about to hit the green button and I suddenly thought "Hang on, what are the belts on?" Good job I checked really, I'd have been trying to run this sketchy setup at 1200 RPM. :grin:

So changed down to the lowest speed (189) and got the job done with some emery roll.

Marred the hell out of the live centre's taper (should have made some aluminium soft jaws for the cross vice :oops::rolleyes:) but eh, they're not expensive.

Didn't make much but sure did a bunch of cleaning while the lift table was off the floor for awhile.
The floor really needed it, Thanks to my Wife!!!
I guess I owe here a steak dinner huh??
Now all I gotta do is get all my stuff back in there and try and find the workbench!!

Attachments

• IMG_0382[1].JPG
    IMG_0382[1].JPG
    826.6 KB · Views: 18
Back