POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Sometimes It's The Little Things

OK, most everyone knows I'm anal (quiet, Dave!), but everybody gets upset from the little things; sure, the big things are annoying, but it's those itty bitty problems that drive us crazy.

I have a paper towel holder in my shop. So what? Most of us something like this in our shop, but mine may be a little different:

Paper Towel Holder.jpeg
Hey, when I'm working on something and need a paper towel, I don't want to walk over to the doorway to get one (I have another holder there, with the GoJo and a pump jug of water so I can clean my hands before going into the rest of the house).

The bothersome thing is that many times when I'm tearing off a towel, this happens:

Stop This From Happening.jpeg
Then I have to take time to reach up and wind the towels back on the roll. Yes, I could have held onto the roll with one hand, and pulled the towel off with the other, but most of the time I need a towel I either have something in the other hand that I want to wipe off, or the other hand is the one that needs to be wiped clean.

Today I got fed up and addressed the problem. Didn't take much, I already had the supplies and it's a simple fix:

Rubber Band Fix.jpeg
Two wide rubber bands (I got a box off the Staples clearance table 5 years ago, and have a lifetime supply), wrapped around the rod a couple of times and they're just right to keep the roll from unwinding. Problem solved!

Oh, these are just regular paper towels: in addition to the other regular roll by the door, I have two rolls of the blue heavy-duty "shop" paper towels – one by the surface plate and the other near-ish the "Work Bench" & Work Desk" (see layout); however, these three rolls are mounted vertically so seldom unwind from gravity or inertia.

Last edited:
OK, most everyone knows I'm anal (quiet, Dave!),
You talkin to me ? If so , I resemble that ! :grin: I have a magnetic holder for paper towels although it's always empty . I'm still using up 100 lbs of cut up shirts ( box o rags ) that came from Uline or Grainger . When they're gone , I'll go back to the Simple Green rags . :encourage:

we have gotten at least 4 inches each day for the past 2 days... wunderground reports it to be .29 inches. I've had to empty the pool twice .. Clearly 4 or more per day. My feeling is 5 but but it's just by looking without a real measurement of where we keep the level and how high it got.
Lot's of branches down, and now the wind is up... probably 35-40mph at times.

I'll be going to tractor supply to get some metal and bolts if the metal is reasonable enough. Need some bar stock to put a rib in the new shop press I am making. I don't think the top tubing is strong enough without it. will drill holes top and bottom in the square tube so I can tack weld the rib down the middle, inside.

Watching mens vb for the bronze right now... after, I'll head out.
Thanks to Debby, we have gotten 15 1/2” over the last 4 days!

well, I picked up a 36" piece at HD 36.99, 24" was 34.99 at TS.
But it's going back. Will place an order shipping stays close as the pieces go up.. so it's a no brainer.
I was hoping to do better, but that didn't happen.I can get a lot more for less than double.
1723237044001.png 1723236958752.png1723237130545.png

well, I picked up a 36" piece at HD 36.99, 24" was 34.99 at TS.
But it's going back. Will place an order shipping stays close as the pieces go up.. so it's a no brainer.
I was hoping to do better, but that didn't happen.I can get a lot more for less than double.
View attachment 499347 View attachment 499346View attachment 499348

Grainger has surprised me a couple of times on stock: pricing about the same as Online Metals but no shipping if I pick it up (and many times drop shipped to my Grainger branch from Online Metals). I use mostly short lengths so I have also found McMaster a good source if 1’ lengths will work - like your example shipping doesn’t change much with additional items, only if the length goes up.

Grainger has surprised me a couple of times on stock.

I've been getting good prices at Zoro which is Grainger's online store. Create an account and there us usually a 20% off coupon and free shipping with a >$50 USD purchase. I often just get a longer piece than needed figuring the price and shipping won't be going down. For smaller pieces my go to is https://hobbymetalkits.com/

I've been getting good prices at Zoro which is Grainger's online store.
Oh, I didn't know that. That's handy to know.

Zoro have a .co.uk store and I've bought from them quite a few times. :encourage:

I like Zoro when their prices are reasonable, but many times they are considerably higher than others. But I have had trouble with them when ordering metals.

They always outsource to onlinemetals . com and the order always seems to get screwed up. They send the wrong item or they send it to the wrong place. They have always made it good, and usually tell me to just keep the wrong item, but it takes several extra days and a lot of back and forth with the customer service to get it right.

I only use them when I can't find it anywhere else.

Back