POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

That reminds me of a story.... I ordered some brackets from send cut send for the grapple i built. Didn't do any fancy CAD, just used the online designer and was able to get it done.

View attachment 477166

This made me giggle - that's 11 .250" steel brackets bent at 90*

View attachment 477168

I could have built tabs myself but this really helped make assembly much easier and the quality of the product was excellent. The brackets were about $5 ea.
I couldn't help but look at the do not bend, and think I have recieved head gaskets without that label and then other companies make sure it is on things like these HD steel brackets :)

I couldn't help but look at the do not bend, and think I have recieved head gaskets without that label and then other companies make sure it is on things like these HD steel brackets :)
Label doesn't help: I've had photos sent between two pieces of cardboard, mailed in a cardboard envelope (which would fit flat in my mailbox) arrive with a crease: local USPS said it must have happened in transit.

OT (-ish) Story:
Years ago my company learned a valuable lesson: we were shipping a 24" x 36" hand-painted rendering of a new, $100,000,000+ facility to the Owner for use at the ground breaking ceremony. Our Purchasing Manager decided that the UPS Store wanted too much for packing & shipping, so they packed it themselves and shipped it via UPS – it arrived with the glass broken and the rendering cut. No recourse with UPS, who said that if they had packed it they would have paid for the full replacement. Fortunately, we had a high-resolution scan made of the rendering before it was framed, so we emailed a copy to the Client, had a high-resolution print made & framed, then delivered it (by car) to Louisville the morning of the ground breaking. Lesson Learned: don't try to save $50 on something that cost $2,000.

Lesson Learned: don't try to save $50 on something that cost $2,000.

If you put $5,000 or $10,000 worth of insurance on something, UPS takes extra special care of that item. It gets special treatment.

They will still try backing out of paying for damage on anything. Had them smash a $5K box with a forktruck. You could see the imprint from the fork in the part! You have to fight them for that $5K check, but they will give it.

If you put $5,000 or $10,000 worth of insurance on something, UPS takes extra special care of that item. It gets special treatment.

They will still try backing out of paying for damage on anything. Had them smash a $5K box with a forktruck. You could see the imprint from the fork in the part! You have to fight them for that $5K check, but they will give it.
No visible damage to the exterior packaging: it was not properly packed, and UPS (& USPS & FedEx) have specific exclusions for that.

For those that don't know how common carrier insurance works: they pay ¢s/pound for damage and it takes months to get any $. They always claim poor packaging. We used to do sales counters for a parts store chain. Not enough per shipment to use a full pup or sealed divider, the bean counters wouldn't pay for it. So we spent a lot of time & $ crating, 1/2" plywood. One shipment ended up with two fork holes through the ply & through the sales counter @ about 2' up! It is worth paying for sealed divider shipment.

I needed to make gaskets for my acetone can. After some research, I found that EPDM and Butyl rubber are both resistant to acetone. I was set to order a sheet from McMaster and pay too much when I realized that bicycle inner tubes are almost always Butyl rubber! Readily available source of gasket material!

I needed to make gaskets for my acetone can. After some research, I found that EPDM and Butyl rubber are both resistant to acetone. I was set to order a sheet from McMaster and pay too much when I realized that bicycle inner tubes are almost always Butyl rubber! Readily available source of gasket material!

Not the only things innertubes can be used for.... Cut to 5mm wide or less, they make good elastic bands.

For those that don't know how common carrier insurance works: they pay ¢s/pound for damage and it takes months to get any $. They always claim poor packaging. We used to do sales counters for a parts store chain. Not enough per shipment to use a full pup or sealed divider, the bean counters wouldn't pay for it. So we spent a lot of time & $ crating, 1/2" plywood. One shipment ended up with two fork holes through the ply & through the sales counter @ about 2' up! It is worth paying for sealed divider shipment.
Forty years ago, as an aircraft mechanic I was tasked with removing a propeller from a DC-3 and having it overhauled. The owner decided to use a shop that was 1,500 miles away, and there is no way we were going to ship a 11-1/2 foot diameter three bladed aircraft propeller without disassembling and crating it.

The propeller breaks down into 5 main subassemblies, a hub/split barrel assembly that the blades rotate and are aligned/retained in, a dome assembly with the operating mechanism, and the three blades.

5__81025.1605390807.jpg

I built a crate using 2x boards and 1/2" plywood. The bare blades are each about 5 feet long, so I started with a flat on skids long enough to support a stack of blades with the hub/dome unit standing up on one end. My stack of blades was alternated to keep the overall height to a minimum, but because the hub had a large bevel gear attached, and the blade lay flat tapering to a very thin tip, there was about a six inch air gap between them over most of their length. I made split clamps from 4x wood to support each end of the blades and used two all-thread rods to clamp each end, running from the skid to the top clamp. The sides and top were made of 1/2" plywood over a wood frame. Everything was screwed together with deck and drywall screws, with bolts for the main frame.

It all went together quite well, and was very sturdy. The propeller shop was so impressed with the crate that they used it to return the finished propeller. The owner had a friend pick up the propeller from the freight line when it was returned. The man at the dock had him sign the papers before he would load the crate onto the flatbed truck. There was a good reason for this. When the friend walked around to where he could see the other side of the crate, he saw two horizontal holes where a forklift had punched through the side of the crate! Since the papers had been signed, there was no way to make a claim.

Fortunately, the forks had missed all of the contents! They had speared through the air gap between two of the blades, with the dome being off to the side of the impact area. The owner, who had questioned the amount of time and expense I had spent on crating, was now very complimentary of my crating job!

The lesson from this story is: never sign for delivery without fully inspecting the packaging for damage. If damaged, bring in a witness and take photos/videos as you open and inspect for damage to the contents. The freight company will fight any claim, but with evidence and witnesses, you will have the upper hand.

Back