POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Replacing casters on the toolbox I got from my friend... great toolbox but it has some lousy/cheap casters...

View attachment 477583

And dusted off the MIG welder and got the brackets for the air compressor cooler done... My welds are not done until I use the grinder, so shut up!! I welded and it helded... :grin big:

View attachment 477584
I soooo wish I had that floor finish in my shop. I made the mistake of staining it black-ish and clear coating it. I hate it.

I soooo wish I had that floor finish in my shop. I made the mistake of staining it black-ish and clear coating it. I hate it.
This was done by the builder... it is carp. One of those paints from Lowes or HomeDepot... to hide their sins...

I either need to redo it, with quality epoxy, or tile the darn floor...

This was done by the builder... it is carp. One of those paints from Lowes or HomeDepot... to hide their sins...

I either need to redo it, with quality epoxy, or tile the darn floor...

Coating concrete is always an iffy proposition.

I did a shot blasting and Sherwin Williams Armorseal (1000hs ???), in the basement floor when we built. That's been really good.

Didn't do anything on the garage shop floor. Welding messes up just about any coating you can put on a floor. Concrete tolerates a lot of stuff. I do plan on trying a few coats of sodium sillicate (water glass) on the garage floor someday. It's supposed to keep the dust down. Forms glass in between the pores in the concrete. Haven't had time yet...

Last edited:
Coating concrete is always an iffy proposition.

I did a shot blasting and Sherwin Williams Armorseal (1000hs ???), in the basement floor when we built. That's been really good.

Didn't do anything on the garage shop floor. Welding messes up just about any coating you can put on a floor. Concrete tolerates a lot of stuff. I do plan on trying a few coats of sodium sillicate (water glass) on the garage floor someday. It's supposed to keep the dust down. Forms glass in between the pores in the concrete. Haven't had time yet...
Reason why I prefer porcelain tiles… I drilled them, weld on them, grind metal, etc. and they still look great. Not one has cracked… I did the install myself… and at US$0.78 each tile, it was a bargain…

The garage at the house in Orlando… installing the lift.

56E69652-F240-48F0-A2C2-C8702E9DE027.jpeg

I beat the carp out of them… quick wash and they look like new. I did get a few more boxes in case I would need to replace any… have not had the need…

2847D4DA-65AD-4C32-B4EF-834618E178CA.jpeg
31273C0E-10CA-4023-BDF1-9C138619C158.jpeg

Last edited:
That's how I did my show floor. Thinking another coat wouldn't hurt. Best done on a humid day when it will soak in rather than dry on the surface.

That's how I did my show floor. Thinking another coat wouldn't hurt. Best done on a humid day when it will soak in rather than dry on the surface.
How much do you need to do a floor?
How many square feet / gallon?

Does it just seal ? Make it slippery?

Last week I bought a new to me motorcycle, a 2013 BMW R1200RT.
Today I fabricated a GPS mount.

1/16” aluminum rolled on my rolling machine, cut to fit and powder coated black. 1” Ram ball mount bolted on with a 2” extension.
Low profile and works fantastic.

The GPS is a Umidigi rugged smartphone running the TomTom Go app. Used the app before on an iPhone 7 but on this 6.5” screen it’s really impressive.
40b1290a7cbf8058be9b4276d8057cb1.jpg

0da5a7ede8c75fee297dc1fe05ff540d.jpg

afc88765b52c2796eb4657f6c080d0aa.jpg

9f34e7e79825415b264f8e78284367f2.jpg

How much do you need to do a floor?
How many square feet / gallon?

Does it just seal ? Make it slippery?
Jeff
I’d have to go back and read up again. I used GhostShield products, which are pricey but well reviewed. Other similar products are cheaper. A hardener and a separate sealer. Chemically bond and harden the top layer, then fill in pores just below surface. Almost indistinguishable from an untreated surface when dry. Surface seems more abrasion resistant, not miraculously so but noticeable. Beads up oil and water to some extent, both will eventually penetrate which is why I am considering another application. I didn’t use anywhere near the recommended amount per sq ft as it needs to soak in rather than dry on the surface. I waited the recommended weeks before applying to new concrete but moisture content was an issue.

Last edited:
Back