Needing more than a spark test?

Last comment on liquification of hydrogen. If you precool the compressed hydrogen to liquid nitrogen temperature 77K, then the expanding hydrogen will cool, and eventually reach liquid temperatures. (If you do everything right!) Helium has an even lower inversion point, which made it the last gas to be liquified

I wonder if this has anything to do with why liquid He is jacketed with liquid N2 in MRI magnets? I have always wondered why that is more efficient than just having better insulation.

The solid-state lab I slaved in as a grad student had a gas blend that consisted of nitrogen plus about 3% hydrogen. It was called "forming gas" and was used when you wanted a reducing atmosphere but didn't like the idea of exploding furnaces.

Later on when I worked in a lab associated with a fab (actually making money at the time), we periodically had test drills that simulated things like hydrogen leaks. The alarm sound for that was pretty distinctive, kind of a rising/descending whistle. Fortunately I never heard one in a real leak situation.

Fabs use other really nasty gasses and chemicals in addition to hydrogen. Some spontaneously combust in air, some will combust and release arsenic oxide, some are just plain poisonous. We took fire drills and other types of emergency drills very seriously.....

Back