Mystery part from PM935-TS?

You should snake a borescope up in there... ASAP. They are crazy cheap these days!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I assume you guys are referring to a component in this figure. Which part specifically?

1721948750732.png

Hmm, #116 is way too small. I wish I'd set the part on a scale before taking the pic, but it's huge in comparison. As mentioned, it's roughly (from memory) 1" long and 1/2" in diameter. I'll remove the draw bar and at least shine a flashlight down/up the bore. I actually do have a borescope... somewhere.

The only spindle I've ever seen that had an opening in the side big enough for, well, anything... was a drill press with IIRC a #5MT socket. And that opened to air so you could key it.

That sucker was awesome,WW2, rated to drill a 3" hole in steel! Big enough I took a Pic sitting on the table. I had to lean a bit to clear the spindle.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree it seems impossible for it to have come from there - heck, if it wasn't for the pic I took, I'd wonder if I imagined the whole thing. I'll update this with what's found inside the bore.

It could not have come out of the spindle as part of the machine. That spindle just has enough room for the drawbar to pass through, and its one piece, with only the set screw key protruding in to it. 99% sure its not part of the machine, there is always that slight chance, but I do not recognize that part, not at 1" long and 1/2 diameter.

It does look kind of like a few of the parts in the power down feed assy, but not that big. These are small 6-8 mm threaded parts.

Does it happen to be a 7/16-20 thread? What tooling were you using in the machine when you found this part? I've seen certain R8 tools have a screwed in plug at the bottom of the threaded part where the drawbar screws in. Are you sure it didnt come out of your tool? That is the only way anything could have came from up inside of the spindle. And even if that case, it would have been in the way of the drawbar screwing in. There isnt much room up inside of there, and there is not anything that would hold it in. The drawbar would not be able to screw in to a tool if that part was inside of the spindle, but it would just drop out anyway. It could not possibly have fallen off to the side, its just a bored hole with the tiny hole for the set screw that fits in the R8 Keyed Slot. Thats it.

(Posted this before seeing the above post)

Pointed a flashlight up inside where the R8 adaptor goes... no way it fell out of there - there's simply no where for it to have come from. No side ports, and the through hole appears smaller than my claimed (unmeasured) 1/2" dimension. I looked all over the bottom side of the mill looking for any place it could have come from and don't see anything. I must have had brain fade saying I put it back up the spindle hole, and it must have been set aside somewhere. (The yellow ring around the spindle is an LED ring light.) Thanks for the patient replies, guys.

1722016471802.png

Thought about it since yesterday, and thats the only thing I can think of. If its a 7/16-20 thread, that is almost certainly what it is.

Back