My old back vs my rotary table

I picked up an old set of cast iron legs last year. Made a mill accessories table out of them and put it on casters.
I park it near the mill.
When I want to transfer my vise or rotab to the mill I roll it over, raise or lower the Z axis as needed and slide it from one to the other. The rest of the time it's right handy for grabbing hold downs, etc.
We do similar at work, only it’s with a roll away toolbox.

We have a few that basically just store parts for various dies or production equipment so this lets them serve double duty.

Last edited:
I apologize for the pictures being so cluttered.

In the first picture the mill table is back out of the way.

20240826_100721.jpg

Then I brought the table all the way out and I barely have to nudge the rotary table onto the mill table.
20240826_100814.jpg

It came out freakin awesome. I would never use it for more than 100# or so. The rafters and 2x4 would pretty easily support twice that.

The block and tackle was from Hazard Fraught but I replaced the hardware and pulleys. The woven nylon rope is pretty strong. It would easily lift me.

I picked up an old set of cast iron legs last year. Made a mill accessories table out of them and put it on casters.
I park it near the mill.
When I want to transfer my vise or rotab to the mill I roll it over, raise or lower the Z axis as needed and slide it from one to the other. The rest of the time it's right handy for grabbing hold downs, etc.
I think you mean angle iron, not casr

I think you mean angle iron, not casr
No.
Cast iron.
They remind me of that TV commercial from back in the 70s? 80s? for women's nylon stockings.
"Nothing beats a great pair of legs"

Attachments

• 125202473724.jpg
    125202473724.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 12520248150.jpg
    12520248150.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240826_112925_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240826_112925_Gallery.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I knew there would be the day where I wouldn't be able to lift some of my accessories easily. I'm not old yet but with a semi bad back & arthritis starting to kick in, that time is coming sooner than I thought. And I only have small hobby size stuff.

Here's my planned solution, I got this years ago before I actually needed it. I still don't use it much now but I probably should.

Those furniture dollies are great, I keep multiple on hand for all sorts of uses.

View attachment 500992View attachment 500993
What's the load limit on that thing?

Another way to consider is to install a length of unistrut, and use a unistrut trolley which rides inside the unistrut channel
That way you have ability to overhead roll whatever you are lifting to another area..

I replaced my old 2" maple top workbench with a pair of these 22x46 5/8"thick top nitrided steel workbenches on mobile bases. 1,300lb capacity.

workbench01.jpg

I recently added some 1/2 inch commercial cutting board (textured). This table currently has 2 Kurt D675 vises, a Bison 8" chuck and backing plate, Bison 5C collet chuck and backing plate and this 50lb motor sitting on it. It's not even breathing hard with that weight.

workbench02.jpg

Back