Modifying a Follow Rest

How about a hold down that screws into your carriage but locates into the bolt hole in your follower? Like the clamp in an indexable lathe tool, like a so:
View attachment 497700
I had an idea for something along those lines, but it seemed like it would be more complicated from a machining standpoint so I didn't spend much time thinking about it. I just did a quick search and haven't found anything that seems big enough, but I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
I had an idea for something along those lines, but it seemed like it would be more complicated from a machining standpoint so I didn't spend much time thinking about it. I just did a quick search and haven't found anything that seems big enough, but I'll keep looking.
Does not have to look that fancy… just needs to be functional.

I still think that is the best solution

How about a hold down that screws into your carriage but locates into the bolt hole in your follower? Like the clamp in an indexable lathe tool, like a so:
View attachment 497700

you're right, it would take a bit more work to make, but in other ways seems more straightforward

am i missing something? why not just drill and tap the saddle to match the follow rest? i know the OP stated overlap but not from what i'm seeing in the photo. even if it does i would plug it with a steel threaded insert and redrill/tap to match.

am i missing something? why not just drill and tap the saddle to match the follow rest? i know the OP stated overlap but not from what i'm seeing in the photo. even if it does i would plug it with a steel threaded insert and redrill/tap to match.
That's a possibility, for sure. Part of my thinking was that eventually I'd find the correct follower as they do show up pretty regularly, this was just too cheap to pass up. The other thing is that on the near side (as pictured) the new hole would be right over the top of the V way so not as much material to drill and tap into...plus I'd have to remove the saddle so I didn't accidentally hit the ways. None of those are deal breakers, but a lot more work than making some form of hold down or extension to the follower (or so it seems).

this is what I was thinking also.

That's a possibility, for sure. Part of my thinking was that eventually I'd find the correct follower as they do show up pretty regularly, this was just too cheap to pass up. The other thing is that on the near side (as pictured) the new hole would be right over the top of the V way so not as much material to drill and tap into...plus I'd have to remove the saddle so I didn't accidentally hit the ways. None of those are deal breakers, but a lot more work than making some form of hold down or extension to the follower (or so it seems).
In that case, IMO mill off the bottom of this follow rest, as was suggested and make a new base for this follow rest.
IMO the work required to insure accurate positioning of the follow rest will be a lot of work, and interfere with the correct part when/if you get it.

Last edited:
Just to circle back to this, I finished up my modifications today. I went with a double t-nut concept and left gaps where the two met. I then put everything in place on the lathe and tightened the bolts so the entire assembly was locked down before putting some TIG brazing tacks to hold everything in alignment. I then put it on my welding bench, clamped it tightly and filled in with TIG braze (it fills in gaps like normal brazing). I did one half last night and the second half today somewhat to keep the total amount of heat input down. I smoothed things a bit with a flap disc and hit it with a bit of paint that's similar in color....close enough. I could have made the blocks shorter but that was just more chips to clean up and it's completely functional the way it is. The pictures with the center in the headstock probably isn't great, but it looks to be on center pretty well. It definitely clamps down solidly, so aside from looking like Bigfoot I think it's going to work just fine.
fullsizeoutput_699.jpegIMG_6537.JPGIMG_6538.JPGIMG_6539.JPGIMG_6540.JPGIMG_6541.JPGIMG_6542.JPG

Back