Might have blown this part, can I safely use it?

Think the stock part with the 2.5mm hole is a lost cause unless I basically plug the hole again.
Plugging it won’t help much for axial stress, you still have the small amount of material between the blind hole and the groove to resist the pressure force in the o-ring groove.

I wouldn’t use mystery metal for any pressure pieces, my rough calculations indicate 1144 would work well with the 2mm hole, but simulating it would be a good idea to see how the groove geometry will affect that. I might try putting it into Fusion and see how close it comes to what I hand calculated.

@WobblyHand - If you have not scrapped the part, you might consider and actual load test to failure. Assuming that tensile strength is the larger issue, build something quick and dirty to hang weight on it and see how much force that thin section can handle! It would be interesting to see the safety margin and how it compares to calculation.

@WobblyHand - If you have not scrapped the part, you might consider and actual load test to failure. Assuming that tensile strength is the larger issue, build something quick and dirty to hang weight on it and see how much force that thin section can handle! It would be interesting to see the safety margin and how it compares to calculation.
It's not been destroyed yet. Seems that I have far more pressing situations to deal with, that have been sucking up my time. It's not clear to me that I can make something strong enough to grab the tiny slot and apply weight. That groove is only 1.6mm wide. But maybe I can make something simple that would work. I figure I'd need to load it by 200 lbs or more. That's assuming that the groove and what's under it is the weak point.

I'd probably have to machine that piece out of 1144 or something stronger.

Take a block and drill a hole through the long axis that matches the small diameter where the O ring is. Then bore the hole out to match the OD but leave a 1.5mm lip at one end. You could adjust the lip length by facing in the lathe. Then split the block lengthwise centered on the bore. You will then have a clamp that hangs onto that end of the probe. Just one possible idea....

Back