Major Fire Near Chico California

We've been downgraded to level 2 (Get Ready), so we're
GOIN' HOME!

Still on alert, the zones immediately to our east are still level 3 (Get Out), but as long as there isn't a sudden shift in the wind this should be over.
Outstanding!!

I hope your air quality is ok.
Ours is 428!!!

We've been downgraded to level 2 (Get Ready), so we're
GOIN' HOME!

Still on alert, the zones immediately to our east are still level 3 (Get Out), but as long as there isn't a sudden shift in the wind this should be over.
Good News! Glad to hear. Mineal seemes to be in the most danger right now.

Hopefully the multiple agencies involved come to a consensus on their plans to close the fire out.

Two years ago when the Rumcreek fire got within 5 miles of us there were three agencies trying to manage the fire. One state and two federal. The feds were the ones who let the fire smolder around for a month before a wind event blew it up and almost burned down Galice. It was saved by our local FD's. We were greatfull the Oregon Department of Forestry was fighting the side toward us while the feds were letting the fire burn if it wasn't heading for civilization. Their side of the fire burned until the first rains.

Outstanding!!

I hope your air quality is ok.
Ours is 428!!!

I'm working in Idaho right now. I drove up on Wednesday. The air quality in Nevada and Idaho is terrible mostly from the fires in Northern CA and Oregon.

Good News! Glad to hear. Mineal seemes to be in the most danger right now.

Hopefully the multiple agencies involved come to a consensus on their plans to close the fire out.

Two years ago when the Rumcreek fire got within 5 miles of us there were three agencies trying to manage the fire. One state and two federal. The feds were the ones who let the fire smolder around for a month before a wind event blew it up and almost burned down Galice. It was saved by our local FD's. We were greatfull the Oregon Department of Forestry was fighting the side toward us while the feds were letting the fire burn if it wasn't heading for civilization. Their side of the fire burned until the first rains.
I saw something the other day about "Unified Command" in charge of the Park fire.

In 2012, the director of Lassen Park decided to let a fire burn. Then it escaped the park and headed for Old Station and Hat Creek. By the time a lightening strike started the Ponderosa Fire the following week, all of the aerial assets were tied up and it took ground crews nearly 8 hours to find it. By then it was far too big. It came within 3/8 mile of our house. On the upside, that burn scar (quite visible in satellite pictures) now serves as a large firebreak on our south side.

There was also some jurisdictional conflict that allowed the Carr Fire to jump I-5 in 2018, when aerial assets that were already in the air could have snuffed it with one load.

I saw something the other day about "Unified Command" in charge of the Park fire.

In 2012, the director of Lassen Park decided to let a fire burn. Then it escaped the park and headed for Old Station and Hat Creek. By the time a lightening strike started the Ponderosa Fire the following week, all of the aerial assets were tied up and it took ground crews nearly 8 hours to find it. By then it was far too big. It came within 3/8 mile of our house. On the upside, that burn scar (quite visible in satellite pictures) now serves as a large firebreak on our south side.

There was also some jurisdictional conflict that allowed the Carr Fire to jump I-5 in 2018, when aerial assets that were already in the air could have snuffed it with one load.

Once beyond initial attack (24 hours give or take) there are growing levels of red tape. Local, state, region, national.

Many resources including aircraft are national resources, so while it may seem to be a lot of bureaucracy, it is there to keep from sucking up all the resources in the nation, something this state could easily do.

Spent the night in our own bed, it's good to be here. When you leave you just don't know if it's the last time. We were downgraded to "normal" status this morning. Now we get to unpack and put (almost) everything away. Will still keep the basic "bug-out" bag packed, fire season is far from over. Still have two cars to shuttle back, but the pace is much more relaxed now.

and it just now started RAINING! WOO HOO!!

401,000 acres with 27% containment
It’s a big one!

The dragon awoke yesterday after being quiet for several days. It is now at 414k acres, making it the 4th largest in California history. It's making a run towards the communities of Mill Creek and Mineral. The Lassen N.P. headquarters are in Mineral. Winds from the southwest continue to push it towards the park and the 2021 Dixie fire burn scar. Nervous again.

1722955603764.png

The dragon awoke yesterday after being quiet for several days. It is now at 414k acres, making it the 4th largest in California history. It's making a run towards the communities of Mill Creek and Mineral. The Lassen N.P. headquarters are in Mineral. Winds from the southwest continue to push it towards the park and the 2021 Dixie fire burn scar. Nervous again.
It's amazing how weather affects fire behavier. Looks like they started backfire operations lastnight on 172 below Mineral. That feels like a Hail Mary play at this point. I hope they get it right or at worst case don't create a bigger problem. That's got to be a tough call to make.

Back