Let the DP vise "float" or lock it down?

You may have seen this. Float lock:

One essential skill I always point out to newbes is to get a feel of when the bit starts to break thru, that is when it is most likely to grab and lift the part and spin the vise. So you and pull down pretty good on the drill press handle until the bit breaks thru than ease off for the force for the last little bit. I think it is easier to feel if you are using the final size instead of stepping up thru multiple sizes of drills.

Nice set-up. I had the exact X-Y vise that you have in the second photo and gave it to my son for his drill press. At that time it served me very well. thanks for posting.
One essential skill I always point out to newbes is to get a feel of when the bit starts to break thru, that is when it is most likely to grab and lift the part and spin the vise. So you and pull down pretty good on the drill press handle until the bit breaks thru than ease off for the force for the last little bit. I think it is easier to feel if you are using the final size instead of stepping up thru multiple sizes of drills.
All of what you say I am in agreement with. Drilling a hole requires feel and common sense and lubricant. Listen to the machine watch the curls and don't apply enough pressure to ruin the bit. I still will never drill a hole without the work properly secured.

Good question! And it begs the additional question: at what drill diameters is it safe to hand-hold the part being drilled vs. held in a vise?
I know that I have often held parts to be drilled provided the drill was around 1/4" or less. At some point I switch to vise, and at some other point I lock the vise down. Depends on material, part dimensions, and drilling speed as well as drill size. I do often wear gloves when hand holding, but not always.
I'm sure you will get a variety of answers.

Size and weight play as big a part as drill size.

I’ve held tiny parts by hand and also had a 4”x6”x4’ parallel catch a drill and take a spin.

I’ve had the pleasure of having the magnet on an 80lbs mag drill break loose and make the entire drill spin like a top until it yanked the cord out of the wall.

I don’t like bolting vises down as it usually induces tilt to some degree, so I’m currently making a float-loc vise.

Back