Let the DP vise "float" or lock it down?

I only worked in a shop back in high school
but I’m still using my dads drill press and vise that I learned on as a kid. Unless I’m drilling something too big to fit in the vise I always use it because I've had stuff spin and bite me before. We had a guy at work recently almost loose a couple of fingers because he was wearing thick leather gloves running the mill so that’s a real hazard.

My vise floats unless it’s a large hole because I’m experienced enough to do it this way. But, if I ever have a question I always err on the side of safety. Those Irwin style quick clamps are really handy and make it relatively easy to get workpieces in the right place without too much fiddling.

It’s awesome you’re helping out with this class, my dad was an engineer who knew his way around a shop and his love of building things lives on through me.

I remember when I was in Junior Achievement our product (mug holder) involved drilling angled holes in a pine board. I think I was the only student allowed to run the DP since I had experience.

Presumably you’re going to do this class with new kids every year or semester so it’s probably worth working with the instructor to fine tune it. @benmychree is right about not needing to step drill so much and that probably adds to the tedium as much as clamping the vise. One thing that you could look into would be building a fixture to securely hold the workpiece with a quick clamp. Could be made from wood and provide a better level of safety while giving your future engineers an introduction to production engineering as the first step in building whatever they’re working on.

Whatever you end up with definitely work with the instructor to make the shop work safer and more rewarding for the kids.

And, if it’s alright we’d love to see some pictures of the course in action.

John

Ever since that vise spun on me in 8th grade metal shop , I usually secure the work one way or the other.
John and Doc said 1/2" and down is probably ok. I am probably too careful.
Drill presses can bite.
Did your shop teachers have those ugly-bloody accident pictures that scared the bajesus out of you??
Ah, you have a float lock vice. Having one of those deals with much of the reduction of efficiency of clamping down work.

because he was wearing thick leather gloves running the mill so that’s a real hazard.
(emphasis mine)

Yeah, leather is surprisingly strong and tear resistant, even thin leather sometimes. I'd not go near any machinery with moving parts wearing any kind of leather gloves, nor canvas or any durable material.

That's the kind of safety message that needs to be got across. Even nitrile gloves, if they're thick enough, could possibly be a danger.

The number of examination type nitrile gloves I get through just say, handling stock or deburring/cleaning up parts, tells me those kind pose no danger, but I do have some slightly thicker nitrile gloves meant for motor mechanics and the like and those I'd never use for any machining.

I really only use the thicker ones when de-rusting and wire brushing mucky stuff I got off eBay and the like. I'm pretty religious about the distinction.

I'm a floater, even though I have spun a vise many times from grabbing. I spun a part when I was young that laid my left palm open pretty good. Thin stuff will do it more often than a big bit, so I use a single flute bit for those jobs if I can.

Question, how is floating a vise on the drill press different from its opposite, like when using a big drill motor on stationary work? The work doesn't grab, the drill does... but it's hard to drill holes on big work without going hand-held, and a mag drill isn't suitable for all work all the time.

You know this guy. I know him, too:

3b71896c991d06e4a4da34b06c9ce9d0.jpg

98% of my near serious injuries and exploding parts were letting something float on a drill press.

Broke one of my annular cutters by not locking down the work due to just a little extra chatter. Unless it is a small bit it gets secured.

Before I got a MAG drill I built a 20 ton press and hand drilled all of the 1" height holes with my drill like the above gear reduction unit

Couple times thought I darn near broke my wrist.

I personally never drill without the piece secure, ever. If as someone suggested you go from a pilot hole to 1/2" depending on the condition of the bit many times before completing the hole the bit will grab and unless the work was secure it will ride up the bit. For the few seconds it takes to secure the work don't put yourself in harms way.

I have a right angle (geared down even further) version with a new 3/4" chuck... after I -broke- the original one!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I'm a floater, even though I have spun a vise many times from grabbing. I spun a part when I was young that laid my left palm open pretty good. Thin stuff will do it more often than a big bit, so I use a single flute bit for those jobs if I can.

Question, how is floating a vise on the drill press different from its opposite, like when using a big drill motor on stationary work? The work doesn't grab, the drill does... but it's hard to drill holes on big work without going hand-held, and a mag drill isn't suitable for all work all the time.

View attachment 504651
When I started in the elevator industry ( Local 1 ) as a helper I was it the pit securing a rail bracket with a !/2" Black & Decker when it grabbed slamming my hand against the wall so I couldn't release the trigger the mechanic jumped in and pulled the plug. While laughing he said if that happened on the upper floors It have thrown you down the shaft and said next time pull the drill back to snap / break the bit. Another said run the new bit into to concrete floor to dull it and it won't bite in the steel. You gotta love it. Charlie

Last edited:

I have taken drill rides , they are not fun. Milwaukee has broken a few wrists , I never got hurt, but I gained respect.

Back