Leaking Oil Help

I said to hell with it and figured out that I could just muscle the shaft out. The bearings came with it, so I figure I'll have to press them back in when the time comes.

Here is a diagram I pulled from another lathe's manual. The orange section is what I am dealing with.
Parts Diagram Edited.jpg

Picture of the shaft and parts.
IMG_5289.jpg

My plan is to ask QMT to honor the parts warranty and send me the oil seal (18), the gasket (27), the bearing cover (26), and the retaining ring (42). Now the retaining ring that I pulled from the 42 spot actually looks like the #7 ring on my lathe so I will ask for that as well.

From those more knowledgeable about bearings, do you think they are reusable, or should I request new ones as well? I'd like to get everything needed in one shot.

Thanks in advance.

My plan is to ask QMT to honor the parts warranty and send me the oil seal (18), the gasket (27), the bearing cover (26), and the retaining ring (42). Now the retaining ring that I pulled from the 42 spot actually looks like the #7 ring on my lathe so I will ask for that as well.

From those more knowledgeable about bearings, do you think they are reusable, or should I request new ones as well? I'd like to get everything needed in one shot.

If it were me, I would attempt to source a high quality seal as opposed to using another factory sourced one. Would expect that a quality name brand seal would be less than $20 shipped.
Others here are better qualified to talk bearings but I would price out good bearings while shopping for a seal.
Not like it's a high RPM part so unless you had to remove the bearings with a hammer they should be fine.

Last edited:
Most towns have places that sell bearings and seals.

Motion industries or common industrial supply.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was trying to save the money by having PM pay for the parts to be replaced, but you all made good points. I will be reusing the bearings since they look to be in good shape and they're almost 50 bucks each. The seal and clip will be here Monday afternoon. I appreciate the help, and will keep you updated on whether it worked or not.

Thanks

I bet the auto manufacturers would love to have warranties where the buyers have to figure out the problem and do all the labor.

I bet the auto manufacturers would love to have warranties where the buyers have to figure out the problem and do all the labor.
You're not wrong, lol. but the guys at Precision Matthews have been very responsive and helpful. They've even offered several ways to compensate me outside of the warranty for my time and troubles. I chose to buy the lower quality model, and knew about the parts only warranty before purchasing. The only reason I've had to pay anything is because I decided to go with better quality replacement parts, and don't want to wait for them to ship them.

You're not wrong, lol. but the guys at Precision Matthews have been very responsive and helpful. They've even offered several ways to compensate me outside of the warranty for my time and troubles. I chose to buy the lower quality model, and knew about the parts only warranty before purchasing. The only reason I've had to pay anything is because I decided to go with better quality replacement parts, and don't want to wait for them to ship them.
was being sarcastic. I get it. it's not like you can have your mill or lathe towed to the local dealer.

I don't know if this came up, and it occurred to me as I was servicing my new PM 1440TL - the headstock and gearbox do not have a vent.

The oil fill caps seal the compartments, everything gets warm/hot when running, internal pressure builds, pushes the oil past the seals. Pressure needs to go somewhere.

Not saying this is the problem here, but could be a contributor. IF this was the problem, then every lathe out there would be leaking.

Vented caps are in my future.

if these are gearhead lathes, I doubt that they are airtight.

Well, I had the leak fixed for the most part, but when I started using the lathe I realized the gear change knobs wouldn’t turn. Took it back apart, and reinstalled the face plate with the knobs. Now two would turn but two wouldn’t.

At Thai point I’m ready to just hire a repairman. If anyone knows of a guy in the Columbus, GA area let me know.

Back