It's gonna get cold!

mini splits on the way, i will be happy when i can cool and condition my space. heat is a non-issue here.
My mini-splits are heat pumps but with anything running in the space i will probably never need heat.
my house has a heat pump without aux heat and i rarely miss the aux heat.

Attachments

• IMG_6433.jpeg
    IMG_6433.jpeg
    667.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6430.jpeg
    IMG_6430.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6440.jpeg
    IMG_6440.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It's so nice walking into the shop and the whole thing is now 68⁰ because the concrete is still cool and the entire shop is insulated walls with an air gap inside the outside walls. It's really crazy. Outside is 75⁰. It was 80⁰ yesterday.

The huge 4 ft doorway is open now and the two shops are now one.

One nice thing is that the garage door is now a temporary wall. I can put easily movable stuff against that wall.
I wish my outside was only 80 down here it is 100+ and inside a metal building with the sun blasting down it is hotter inside than outside even with a good sized fan exhausting air out the top. at some point i plan to insulate the underside of the roof to make the unconditioned space more livable.

cold to me since I moved to the south 44 years ago is anything under 65F. we get to freezing here for a while, usually Januaryish, I freakin hate it.
Moved to Citrus County 4.5 yrs ago. And dang - come Jan. I get to thinking we should have kept driving south before stopping. Still, way better than winters on the NC/VA state line. Between 65-70f is the long sleeve/jacket range.
I used one of these Toyo heaters in my house, then moved it to my shop when I installed a heat pump in the house.
Worked really well. Uses outside air for combustion, and vents exhaust to the outside.

Moved to Citrus County 4.5 yrs ago. And dang - come Jan. I get to thinking we should have kept driving south before stopping. Still, way better than winters on the NC/VA state line. Between 65-70f is the long sleeve/jacket range.
I work hot so I enjoy when the shop is around 60⁰. I get chilly below that. Once the temperatures hit freezing all day long, I start really heating the shop.

Turns out the dead air space in the walls between my steel siding and my framed walls has a R value close to 12. That puts my R13 insulation closer to R25. That must be why my shop has been so efficient.

I work hot so I enjoy when the shop is around 60⁰. I get chilly below that. Once the temperatures hit freezing all day long, I start really heating the shop.
I worked in a brewery for almost 39 yrs. A major portion was in the cold service area, were the common area was around 50f, and the cellars were around 34f. In the winter, colder as ice would form through the cellars. Me, being the klutz, or just wrong place/wrong time - ended up with many 34f beer baths, getting completely soaked, or partially so. Had enough cold. Now, on the other hand, working the brew kettle floor would get rather warm in the summer - we put a thermometer on the kettle floor one warm day, the needle was past the 140f mark. Even though I prefer warm, that's extreme.

I don’t have any machines in the garage, so a torpedo heater would work without worrying about humidity. I’ve used electric space heaters in the past when working on the cars, but with the price of electricity here in CT now, it’s about $0.30/kw-hr now, it would probably be cheaper to buy the torpedo heater and fuel!
We pay $.47 per kw-hr.
Since we have solar we get the highest rate. At least that's the way I understand it.
Pacific Gas & Electric is our monopoly.

We pay $.47 per kw-hr.
Since we have solar we get the highest rate. At least that's the way I understand it.
Pacific Gas & Electric is our monopoly.

If you include all taxes and fees I pay $0.125 per kwh.

ETA: It went up to $0.145 per kwh.

Last edited:
Back