It's gonna get cold!

I already insulated the garage door. It helped with retaining heat but the door never sealed up tight. There was always a gap here and there. Wind moving the door would open up gaps. Now that area is double insulated.
I insulated my door and the next project is putting a foam rubber seal around the sides.

I already insulated the garage door. It helped with retaining heat but the door never sealed up tight. There was always a gap here and there. Wind moving the door would open up gaps. Now that area is double insulated.
Having grown up in the north suburbs of Chicago, I understand cold. But now Florida and since I work out of my residence, the continued (but limited) operation of the garage door is essential (That is if I want to stay married). I envy those like you that have a separate building on their property.
With that said, it is still a good idea to have some fresh air still able to enter the area. Since I do a bit of polishing and stoning. The smell of Kerosene can get to me after a while. Every time that Kerosene smell permeates the air, it makes me think of how the early pioneers had contend with the smell daily. It reminds me of my Great Grandmother telling me about when she was a kid reading at night while sitting next to a kerosene lantern.

Having grown up in the north suburbs of Chicago, I understand cold. But now Florida and since I work out of my residence, the continued (but limited) operation of the garage door is essential (That is if I want to stay married). I envy those like you that have a separate building on their property.
With that said, it is still a good idea to have some fresh air still able to enter the area. Since I do a bit of polishing and stoning. The smell of Kerosene can get to me after a while. Every time that Kerosene smell permeates the air, it makes me think of how the early pioneers had contend with the smell daily. It reminds me of my Great Grandmother telling me about when she was a kid reading at night while sitting next to a kerosene lantern.
I installed a large bathroom exhaust fan. I also have a window.

Ran a bead of caulk along the uneven concrete. Some weather stripping and it will be done.

I'm going to install a couple 2x2's inside the garage door opening so the wall will have a stop for easier installation. I had to pry up on it and give it some smacks with a sledge to get it seated. Guides would make it slide up and right in while giving it encouragement. Lol.

I'm getting excited about the idea of removing the door between the two sections and having one continuous space. There is a wall but that won't bother anything.

It's so nice walking into the shop and the whole thing is now 68⁰ because the concrete is still cool and the entire shop is insulated walls with an air gap inside the outside walls. It's really crazy. Outside is 75⁰. It was 80⁰ yesterday.

The huge 4 ft doorway is open now and the two shops are now one.

One nice thing is that the garage door is now a temporary wall. I can put easily movable stuff against that wall.

Back