I think this is my next project car

Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Got to drive her today for the first time other than moving her into the shop off the transport.

Replaced all the brake lines front to back including the flex lines, got the steering fixed, the power windows work, pulled the gas tank and used my pressure washer in it. Was full of crud from ethanol. The gas I drained was dark brown and the carb was full of crud. I had an extra carb so I just stuck it on and it ran much better with good gas, but still missed a lot. Replaced the plugs and that did the trick.

A lot more to do but making progress.

Was a beautiful day to a first drive of the car :grin:

20220904_111705.jpg20220904_111714.jpg20220828_173447.jpg20220828_175114.jpg

20220829_105727.jpg

Last edited:
Great news about the car, Dan.

Seeing the gas station/market sign, I'm wondering, is that your local that burnt not long ago?

I'm loving it good job. :encourage: :encourage:

Thanks guys.

Yes it is at Drew's in Toutle. They have the fuel pumps up and running and brought in two double wide trailers and created a "mini Drew's" store.

I've asked them when they will start rebuilding the main store and I just get that they are waiting on the insurance company. Seems like it's taking a really long time for that.

I need some advise on the 55.

I'm replacing the entire exhaust system front to back and changing the rear cross member to make it easier to route the pipes and found that when the new mounts were welded in the engine and trans are not installed inline with the center line of the car, back of trans is off 1" to the passenger side, trans looks too low by about 2", and the engine/trans is tilted to the right. I was considering pulling the engine/trans and putting in new engine frame mounts, but that would snowball on me. I wouldn't be able to resist cleaning and painting the engine bay.

So for now I can pull the back of the trans to the left, and can raise the back of the trans up and leave the tilt for now. I've been researching setting the angles and got the frame at almost perfectly level and I set the engine to zero deg at the carb base using my machinist level and was told that's wrong. From what I read the carb base is at -3.5 deg so the fuel would be level and evenly distributed. I found a tremec transmission app for my phone to set the anglesand it totally sucks. It has a real time readout and I adjust the engine trans to -3.5 deg, drive shaft says 2.8, rear axle is 2. Then I hit calculate and it says I'm out of spec with the trans at 7.5 deg. Waste of time to try using it.

Has anyone went through this and has some advise on how to go about this?

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help...

Back when I was setting up the driveline on my '97 Jeep, I remember that with a standard driveshaft (one u-joint at each end), the transmission yoke needs to be parallel with the differential pinion. With the driveshaft installed, the driveshaft can be up to 4 degrees relative to both... IIRC...

Also, when I was setting up the engine/ transmission mounts on my '51 Ford truck, I offset the mounts (2 inches, I think) to the passenger side to allow room for the power steering gearbox. That was recommended... from what I was reading, very few factory engines are actually mounted centered... most are offset to one side.

I'm no expert... I was relying on information provided by others who have successfully done what I was attempting.

-Bear

Back