50x2000mm Belt grinder, metric equivalent of 2x72"

I set out to build one but after looking at all the YT videos, decided to save a lot of effort and bought Jer Schmit's design. Very happy with it and it works exactly as promised.

I set out to build one but after looking at all the YT videos, decided to save a lot of effort and bought Jer Schmit's design. Very happy with it and it works exactly as promised.
I purchased his V.1 plans and haven’t found the time to build it! I’ll buy the updated version before I do get started just because I’m happy to help support his future!

Had to tweak quite a bit to get the belt to track reliably.
With the tensioner aiming straight back it would track great in reverse and not at all going forward.
Quick enough test was to cut the tube, bend it upwards and tack some bars on, suddenly it's much more responsive.
The flat drive wheel was also not a real great hit, it did seem to track a lot better once I added some layers of tape to act as a crowned wheel.
I added just a few layers to the "front" wheels as well and it definitely helps.
I also added a gas strut I had laying around to provide the tension, and it provides quite a lot...
I turned the heads of two M6 bolts down to be more spherical and it worked great as ball joints for the strut.
You can "ping" the belt like a string, if it keeps together I will use it like this but if the belt comes apart I think it might be too much tension.
View attachment 499353View attachment 499352

Finally I turned up some thick tubes to go through the frame, they're internally threaded to M10 which lets me bolt various tables/jigs to the frame.
First up was just a basic table that can tilt to 60 degrees or so.
Not much to say about it, upper bolt act as pivot, lower acts as a angle lock/slot. With both locked down it seems incredibly sturdy.
View attachment 499351View attachment 499354
Mount the bottom of the gas strut as low as you can. Install a belt and place the top of the strut under the bottom of the tension arm. As you slide the point of contact closer to the pivot point, the belt tension will decrease! Should be easy to find the sweet spot!

You may need to use a homemade tool with a hole to keep the strut under the arm while you’re sliding it!

But where's the fun in that? :grin:
I see every project as a way of learning things, both designing, engineering and fabricating.
Definitely not the fastest or easiest way.
Jers design is very nice tho, it's one of the videos that made me want to build my own.

Hah, having recently completed my from-scratch granite-base CNC router, and the two cars I designed and built from scratch, I was ready for a break. Following directions instead of creating them was just the ticket.

Last edited:
Hah, having recently completed my from-scratch granite-base CNC router, and the two cars I designed and built from scratch, I was ready for a break. Following directions instead of creating them was just the ticket.
Yeah makes total sense! :grin:

Alright, finishing touches. Could've made it look better but aimed more for "get it done" than perfection.
Similar controlbox as previously, green button will latch a contactor inside the box, stop button will shut everything down and it cannot start again until stop button has been reset and start has been pressed again.
Each phase has a fuse so a breakdown won't instantly trip the garage fuse and/or RCD.
Filled the frame with sand, hence various blue bolts here and there for filling and emptying.
Added rubber feet.
Finally a coat of some paint I had laying around.
Should be fun and easy to use! :grin:
IMG_7715.JPEGIMG_7714.JPEG

Back