Good source to buy metals for lathe projects

I service machine shops and I can purchase a variety of materials from them.
Plus there is an Alro store along my way, here is there price list from inside the store about two weeks ago.
What's alloy mean in this sign?

I haven't bought "new" stock in years, with the exception of some larger 6061 aluminum plate drops that bought a few years back. I scrap out everything from computer printers to agricultural machinery and save any pieces that might have a use at a future time. I have plate up to 2" thick, bar stock up to 2" x 3" and round stock up to 3" diameter. The down side is not knowing the composition of the material but for most purposes, that isn't a serious drawback.

Many years ago I bought some drops from Alliant Metals in NH, they don’t have a drops section on their website now, so not sure if they still do that. https://alliantmetals.com/

Yarde Metals is a good source, and they ship. Look in their drop zone. Www.yarde.com

Midwest Steel Supply usually has good prices, and they cut to size. Www.midweststeelsupply.com

McMaster-Carr has some things that are reasonable, others not so much. Shipping to me in NW CT is very reasonable, not sure how good it will be to you in MA. You want to keep the lengths you buy on the shorter side, shipping significantly increases once you get over 36 inches.

Make friends with your local machine shops, often they’ll sell drops at a decent price. A box of donuts goes a long way.

If you want a specific material McMaster-Carr is great imho and you can get small quantities shipped quickly.

PVC pipe is great for practice too.

John

Have you looked at any U-Pull your parts automotive or farm equipment scrap yards.
Lots of shafting, especially with farm equipment.

Daryl
MN
Its getting to be slim pickings around here. I have a few other places a bit out of the way but the drive is almost not worth it.
My go to place the “old guys” are no longer there. So getting odds and ends is tougher now.

I just keep an eye out on the local CL and between free, materials , garage sales and estate sales sections I’ve managed to keep myself stocked. The trick is not to wait until I need it but take advantage of when it shows up even though I don’t have a project. Mostly it’s repurposed material. The specialized stuff like DuraBar, UHMW and Delrin my goto is eBay.

I use OnlineMetals.com, Midwest Steel Supply, and eBay for my shop.

OnlineMetals.com ships quick and I usually get it in a day or two. Midwest can be slow, but has good prices. eBay can be useful as well and can be cost effective for small quantities.

I have a metal store but will check with steel supplyers. Online I look at most of the above and Zoro.com.

When scrounging, don't overlook your local heavy duty truck shop, not the dealers, stumbled onto some caterpillar wrist pins the other day. Havent tried turning them yet, but should make dandy cylindrical squares.

Back